On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > linum-mode displays line numbers in the left display margin. I think > usurping the display margins for a display-related feature as popular > as line numbers is a bad idea, because it clashes with other > specialized features which want to use the margins, so I explicitly > coded the native line-number display not to do that. Therefore, I > will object to having this new display on the display margins, even as > an option. > ​Ok. ​ > ​​ > > ​​ > Separation between the numbers and the text is still kept, by means of > ​​ > a white-space glyph. > ​So could you add a customization option for this glyph that would provide some visual separation, e.g. a hairline or something similar to the visual linum-mode provides? ​​ > > ​​ > > Then linum-mode should be removed (maybe add an alias) so there is no > confusion as to which mode should > ​​ > > be used. > ​​ > > ​​ > I'm waiting for the pretests and the feedback we get to see if this > ​​ > can be done. It's possible that in some rare situations the new mode > ​​ > will be inconvenient or unable to support. If no such reports come > ​​ > in, we will indeed retire linum-mode when Emacs 26.1 is released. > ​Ok.​ ​​ > > 2. The mode-line popup menu that displays/hides line and col numbers in > the mode=line could be expanded to > ​​ > > toggle this mode on and off locally and globally, as well as providing > options for its various display settings: > ​​ > > relative, visual and absolute. > ​​ > > ​​ > I'm not sure I agree. The mode-line menu is for displays on the mode > ​​ > line. The display-line-numbers-mode and its variants can be turned on > ​​ > or off from the menu bar's Options menu. > ​ I see your point but do think in practice a lot of people would look to the mode-line menu if they could. Also, having all the options in one place would let people decide which to use at any given point without hunting around. I know I look at mode-lines a lot more than the menubar. It would also force a cleanup of the menu item naming so that it was obvious where each option will display its numbers. ​Bob ​