* GSoC: Guile-Emacs + Emacsy
@ 2013-05-28 12:10 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-05-28 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, emacs-devel; +Cc: shane.celis, BT Templeton

Hello Guilers & Emacsers!

I’m pleased to announce that there will be two Guile-related projects
going on as part of GSoC this year:

  • Guile-Emacs, by BT Templeton
    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/bpt/35002

    BT will continue the excellent work that has been done on Guile and
    Emacs integration.  Previous GSoCs focused on providing a
    full-fledged Emacs Lisp front-end to Guile’s compiler and VM.  This
    project focuses on the missing piece: replacing the Emacs Lisp
    interpreter in Emacs by Guile.

  • Emacsy, by Shane Celis
    https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/shanecelis/1

    This is another approach to the Emacs/Guile vision: Shane will work
    on a framework, Emacsy, that will allow application developers to
    easily “emacsify” them–i.e., by providing the mechanisms for a
    “key-lookup-execute-command loop” similar to that of Emacs, with
    Guile inside.

(Shane and BT: feel free to introduce yourself and your project.)

I’m the mentor for these two projects, but I really hope they will
develop with good interaction with the Guile and Emacs folk.  In
particular, I would like development issues and road maps to be
discussed primarily on the relevant project mailing lists.

I’m very excited about these two projects.  I think they will help
promote a vision where users are in control and can readily exert their
freedom to study and adapt the software to their needs.

Thanks a lot to José and Giuseppe who have wonderfully handled GNU’s
participation in GSoC, and happy hacking!

Ludo’.