However, I do need to use GitHub to open a Pull Request to add the receipt. As someone pointed out, one workaround might be just email the MELPA maintainers. I’ve never tried that myself. > On Oct 17, 2020, at 12:59 AM, chad wrote: > > On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:20 PM Richard Stallman > wrote: > > As a package writer, my main concern is that > > it seems that the package submission process > > require proprietary software (particularly non-free > > JavaScript by m$ Github). > > What I would do, in that situation, is not submit my package to Melpa. > > Meanwhile, this aspect of Melpa is an additional reason not to do > anything to lead people to use Melpa. > > This seems to be based on the incorrect assumption that package authors must use GitHub to use MELPA. According to the MELPA docs: > > MELPA supports git , github , gitlab , and hg (Mercurial) [...] > :url specifies the URL of the version control repository. required for the git, and hg fetchers. [...] > :repo specifies the github or gitlab repository and is of the form user/repo-name. required for the github and gitlab fetchers. > > Digging in a bit further, MELPA used to also support EmacsWiki, which it deprecated for security concerns, and Bazaar, CVS, Darcs, Fossil and Subversion, which it deprecated due to lack of use. > > ~Chad