* How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-07-30 22:46 Justin Joseph Kaipada
From: Justin Joseph Kaipada @ 2018-07-30 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello emacs--people,

At work I need to mess with files in Z/OS aka OS 390, since it is unix
compliant OS, I thought I can connect to it with tramp. I am not sure how I
can test anything I write. I got tramp source from savannah. If I change a
file, how to test my changes ? I am seeing many tramp files in
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ with .gz extension,
will changing this file directly and restarting emacs enable me to load
this file ? My knowledge on lisp is only beginner level, I have tone of
time in my hands thou.

Thanks

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-07-31 21:10 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-07-31 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Joseph Kaipada; +Cc: emacs-devel

Justin Joseph Kaipada <justinjoseph0007@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello emacs--people,

Hi Justin,

> At work I need to mess with files in Z/OS aka OS 390, since it is unix
> compliant OS, I thought I can connect to it with tramp. I am not sure
> how I can test anything I write. I got tramp source from savannah. If
> I change a file, how to test my changes ? I am seeing many tramp files
> in  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ with .gz
> extension, will changing this file directly and restarting emacs
> enable me to load this file ? My knowledge on lisp is only beginner
> level, I have tone of time in my hands thou.

The first step would be to use Tramp's test suite. How have you
installed Emacs? I guess it is a distribution on macOS, which hasn't
included the test suite. You will see it, whether your Emacs
installation comes with the file test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el.

Pls check this first, and if the file does not exist, ask the
distributor of your Emacs, whether all the Emacs tests can be provided
as well. Personally, I don't use macOS myself, so I cannot answer this
question.

Once you know the status, we could check how to continue.

> Thanks

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-08-02 11:25   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-08-02 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

> How have you
> installed Emacs? I guess it is a distribution on macOS, which hasn't
> included the test suite. You will see it, whether your Emacs
> installation comes with the file test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el.
>
> Pls check this first, and if the file does not exist, ask the
> distributor of your Emacs, whether all the Emacs tests can be provided
> as well.

`make install' does not copy the tests to target directories from what I can tell.

The tests are there in the git repo.

; Mac port
emacs-mac/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
emacs-mac/test/lisp/url/url-tramp-tests.el

; NS port
GNU/emacs/test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
GNU/emacs/test/lisp/url/url-tramp-tests.el

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-08-02 20:48     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-08-02 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Van L <van@scratch.space> writes:

>> How have you
>> installed Emacs? I guess it is a distribution on macOS, which hasn't
>> included the test suite. You will see it, whether your Emacs
>> installation comes with the file test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el.
>>
>> Pls check this first, and if the file does not exist, ask the
>> distributor of your Emacs, whether all the Emacs tests can be provided
>> as well.
>
> `make install' does not copy the tests to target directories from what I can tell.

I'm not sure the OP runs anything like "make". Looks rather like an
Emacs distribution to me.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-08-02 22:14       ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-08-02 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: van, Emacs developers

It is likely the OP is running Emacs from the packaged keg version from
Homebrew (Homebrew has 2 emacs recipes, one which downloads the soruces and
builds and one which downloads the pre-built binary from the emacs for mac
osx site). My suggestion would be to remove the installed Emacs and then
install the base recipe version that downloads the sources and builds in
/usr/local tree. Once they have worked things out and know how to get
things working to access the remote site, they can switch back to the
pre-built version if they prefer.

However, putting all that aside, I'm not sure the OP needs to go through
all of this anyway. For what they are doing, the version of tramp which is
included in Emacs should be fine to verify they can do what they want. It
isn't clear what changes they are trying to make or why they need separate
sources from savannah. Unless the OP is implementing a whole new protocol
for ftrampj, they probably only need to adjust some of the tramp config
variables.

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-08-03  5:49         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-08-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: van, Emacs developers

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> However, putting all that aside, I'm not sure the OP needs to go
> through all of this anyway. For what they are doing, the version of
> tramp which is included in Emacs should be fine to verify they can do
> what they want. It isn't clear what changes they are trying to make or
> why they need separate sources from savannah. Unless the OP is
> implementing a whole new protocol for ftrampj, they probably only need
> to adjust some of the tramp config variables.

If I knew the Tramp version the OP is running, I could give instructions
how to achieve the corresponding tramp-tests.el. This would be a good
starting point to check, whether Tramp is able to access the remote
machine in question.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-08-04  0:15           ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-08-04  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: van, Emacs developers

Agreed. More detail on version of Emacs and Tramp, plus what protocol the
OP is using to access the remote server would really help.

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
@ 2018-08-05  4:08       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-08-05  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

> I'm not sure the OP runs anything like "make". Looks rather like an
> Emacs distribution to me.

The distributors at further remove from the source may layer on after a `make install’ was done. I understand an Emacs distribution to mean the result of installing from Macports.org for instance.