* "Org version mismatch." when building emacs
@ 2023-05-05  1:47 l@tlo
From: l@tlo @ 2023-05-05  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I just pulled the code in master, did ./autogen.sh and ./configure to be on the safe side and "make" gives me this:

org/ox-texinfo.el:33:2: Error: Org version mismatch.  Make sure that correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el
make[3]: *** [org/ox-texinfo.elc] Error 1
make[2]: *** [main-first] Error 2
make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2

I read the explanations given with the error message:

> Version mismatch is commonly encountered in the following situations:
>
> 1. Emacs is loaded using literate Org config and more recent Org
>    version is loaded inside the file loaded by ‘org-babel-load-file’.
>    ‘org-babel-load-file’ triggers the built-in Org version clashing
>    the newer Org version attempt to be loaded later.
>
>    It is recommended to move the Org loading code before the
>    ‘org-babel-load-file’ call.

??? I don't use org-babel, I don't load Emacs with a literate Org config file.

> 2. New Org version is loaded manually by setting ‘load-path’, but some
>    other package depending on Org is loaded before the ‘load-path’ is
>    configured.
>    This "other package" is triggering built-in Org version, again
>    causing the version mismatch.
>
>    It is recommended to set ‘load-path’ as early in the config as
>    possible.

I only use the built-in version or Org, and I'm not sure why that matters since I'm trying to build from the source code.

> 3. New Org version is loaded using straight.el package manager and
>    other package depending on Org is loaded before straight triggers
>
>    It is recommended to put
>
>     (straight-use-package 'org)
>
>    early in the config.  Ideally, right after the straight.el
>    bootstrap.  Moving ‘use-package’ :straight declaration may not be
>    sufficient if the corresponding ‘use-package’ statement is
>    deferring the loading.

I only use the built-in version or Org, and I'm not sure why that matters since I'm trying to build from the source code.

Any idea what is happening here?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org