* emacs locked when internet connection is cut...
@ 2018-05-01  8:37 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I was doing things with package.el when my connection got cut. Just when emacs was trying to contact melpa.org:80...

The UI is locked, and even when I'm back online (I'm sending this mail), emacs does not seem to notice...

Shouldn't there be a timeout for any function that requires external ressources like an internet connection ? The current behavior is *extremely* inconvenient...

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut...
@ 2018-05-01 14:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-01 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 17:37:48 +0900
>
> I was doing things with package.el when my connection got cut. Just when emacs was trying to contact melpa.org:80...
>
> The UI is locked, and even when I'm back online (I'm sending this mail), emacs does not seem to notice...
>
> Shouldn't there be a timeout for any function that requires external ressources like an internet connection ? The current behavior is *extremely* inconvenient...

We do have timeouts, and use async APIs where possible.  Evidently, it
somehow doesn't work in your case.  But you didn't give enough
information to start digging into the problem.  Assuming this is
reproducible, please attach a debugger to Emacs when it hangs like
that and show the C-level backtrace.  Please report the results as a
bug, using report-emacs-bug, which will also collect several important
aspects of your build and setup.

Armed with that knowledge, we might be able to investigate this
problem.

Thanks.

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut...
@ 2018-05-02  6:56   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-02  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Eli,

Thank you for the instructions.

I've reconfigured emacs to make debugging easier (./configure --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type CFLAGS='-O0 -g3') re-"make install"-ed it and launched gdb attached to its PID.

I can't seem to be able to run gdb and attach emacs without getting a lot of error messages so I'm wondering if there is a better way to get what you need to investigate into this issue.

JC

@ 2018-05-02 14:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-02 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 15:56:27 +0900
>
> I've reconfigured emacs to make debugging easier (./configure --enable-checking='yes,glyphs'
> --enable-check-lisp-object-type CFLAGS='-O0 -g3') re-"make install"-ed it and launched gdb attached to its
> PID.
>
> I can't seem to be able to run gdb and attach emacs without getting a lot of error messages so I'm wondering
> if there is a better way to get what you need to investigate into this issue.

Which error messages do you get?  They could be just warnings that can
be disregarded, ore they could be problems that will get in the way
when you run Emacs under GDB in any other way.  So please show the
messages.

Hoe to run Emacs under GDB in a way that will allow you to get control
back to GDB is described in etc/DEBUG.  However, attaching GDB to a
running Emacs is much easier, so maybe it's worth your while to invest
some additional effort into trying to use that.

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut...
@ 2018-05-02 15:06       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On May 2, 2018, at 23:56, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 15:56:27 +0900
>>
>> I've reconfigured emacs to make debugging easier (./configure --enable-checking='yes,glyphs'
>> --enable-check-lisp-object-type CFLAGS='-O0 -g3') re-"make install"-ed it and launched gdb attached to its
>> PID.
>>
>> I can't seem to be able to run gdb and attach emacs without getting a lot of error messages so I'm wondering
>> if there is a better way to get what you need to investigate into this issue.
>
> Which error messages do you get?  They could be just warnings that can
> be disregarded, ore they could be problems that will get in the way
> when you run Emacs under GDB in any other way.  So please show the
> messages.

When I attach emacs to gdb from Emacs I get this:

Attaching to process 42692
Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
 (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
(gdb) thread.c:1555: internal-error: scoped_restore_current_thread::scoped_restore_current_thread(): Assertion `tp != NULL' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.

When I start gdb from the command line and attach emacs there I get this:
Attaching to process 42692
Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
 (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))

After investigating a bit it looks like running gdb as sudo fixes the thing (I could not create a certificate for it) but I still get this:

Attaching to process 42692
[New Thread 0x1503 of process 42692]
[New Thread 0x1603 of process 42692]
[New Thread 0x1703 of process 42692]
[New Thread 0x1803 of process 42692]
[New Thread 0x2803 of process 42692]
[New Thread 0x2903 of process 42692]
Reading symbols from /Users/suzume/Documents/Code/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs...done.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
`/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
Error while mapping shared library sections:
`/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
Error while mapping shared library sections:
`/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
Error while mapping shared library sections:
`/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
Error while mapping shared library sections:
`/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
Error while mapping shared library sections:
`/usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib': not a shared-library: File format not recognized

and a big bunch of other similar errors.

Jean-Christophe

@ 2018-05-02 15:28         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-02 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 00:06:07 +0900
>
> When I attach emacs to gdb from Emacs I get this:
>
> Attaching to process 42692
> Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
>  (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
> (gdb) thread.c:1555: internal-error: scoped_restore_current_thread::scoped_restore_current_thread(): Assertion `tp != NULL' failed.
> A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
> further debugging may prove unreliable.

I didn't realize this was an Apple system...

> After investigating a bit it looks like running gdb as sudo fixes the thing (I could not create a certificate for it) but I still get this:
>
> Attaching to process 42692
> [New Thread 0x1503 of process 42692]
> [New Thread 0x1603 of process 42692]
> [New Thread 0x1703 of process 42692]
> [New Thread 0x1803 of process 42692]
> [New Thread 0x2803 of process 42692]
> [New Thread 0x2903 of process 42692]
> Reading symbols from /Users/suzume/Documents/Code/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs...done.
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> `/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> `/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> `/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> `/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> `/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> `/usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib': not a shared-library: File format not recognized
>
> and a big bunch of other similar errors.

Do these errors, when you run as sudo, prevent GDB from displaying a
backtrace?  If so, I guess you will have to use LLDB instead.

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut...
@ 2018-05-03 18:14         ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2018-05-03 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 12:06:07AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> When I attach emacs to gdb from Emacs I get this:
>
> Attaching to process 42692
> Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
>  (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
> (gdb) thread.c:1555: internal-error: scoped_restore_current_thread::scoped_restore_current_thread(): Assertion `tp != NULL' failed.
> A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
> further debugging may prove unreliable.
>
> When I start gdb from the command line and attach emacs there I get this:
> Attaching to process 42692
> Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
>  (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))

To run gdb on macOS you need to follow instructions like the following:

https://gist.github.com/gravitylow/fb595186ce6068537a6e9da6d8b5b96d

otherwise it’s simply not allowed to attach to another process. (I’ve
not tried these specific instructions.)

lldb should already be signed so will work, but you’ll miss out on
some gdb specific settings in the emacs source.
--
Alan Third

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut...
@ 2018-05-04  7:53           ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-04  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On May 4, 2018, at 3:14, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 12:06:07AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>>
>> When I attach emacs to gdb from Emacs I get this:
>>
>> Attaching to process 42692
>> Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
>> (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
>> (gdb) thread.c:1555: internal-error: scoped_restore_current_thread::scoped_restore_current_thread(): Assertion `tp != NULL' failed.
>> A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
>> further debugging may prove unreliable.
>>
>> When I start gdb from the command line and attach emacs there I get this:
>> Attaching to process 42692
>> Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 42692: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
>> (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
>

> To run gdb on macOS you need to follow instructions like the following:
>
> https://gist.github.com/gravitylow/fb595186ce6068537a6e9da6d8b5b96d

Thank you Alan,

I actually had found a similar page and followed similar instruction to get a weird error message:
Unkown error = -2,147,414,007

I'm not online at the time of this writing so I can't investigate more but I will.

Jean-Christophe

@ 2018-05-05 11:03             ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2018-05-05 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs developers

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> writes:

>> To run gdb on macOS you need to follow instructions like the
>> following:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/gravitylow/fb595186ce6068537a6e9da6d8b5b96d
>
> Thank you Alan,
>
> I actually had found a similar page and followed similar
> instruction to get a weird error message:
> Unkown error = -2,147,414,007

This looks like the error addressed in the comments at the above
https://gist.github.com/gravitylow/fb595186ce6068537a6e9da6d8b5b96d#gistcomment-2246776

Does following the procedure described in that comment make any
difference?

Alexis.

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut... [+ help-gnu-emacs:  Invalid read syntax: ")" ]
@ 2018-05-07  8:03     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

This must be a bug...

When I reconfigured emacs with  --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type CFLAGS='-O0 -g3', to attach gdb, I ended up with a build that generated an "Invalid read syntax ")" error every time I started emacs *even though I had not modified my init file* (~/.emacs.el).

Once I reverted to a normal configuration, that same init file was evaluated without any issues.

Also, When I was running emacs -q on that modified configuration the issue seemed to center on the (require 'package) line, but when I commented it out I still had the same error...

What can I do to investigate this ?

Jean-Christophe

@ 2018-05-07 18:05       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-07 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 17:03:24 +0900

[Please don't cross-post to emacs-devel and help-gnu-emacs.]

> This must be a bug...
>
> When I reconfigured emacs with  --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type
> CFLAGS='-O0 -g3', to attach gdb, I ended up with a build that generated an "Invalid read syntax ")" error every
> time I started emacs *even though I had not modified my init file* (~/.emacs.el).
>
> Once I reverted to a normal configuration, that same init file was evaluated without any issues.
>
> Also, When I was running emacs -q on that modified configuration the issue seemed to center on the (require
> 'package) line, but when I commented it out I still had the same error...
>
> What can I do to investigate this ?

Put a breakpoint in Fsignal, and when it reports this error, show the
backtrace.

But first, I suggest to see if you aren't hit by the fontconfig
LC_NUMERIC issue, as I wrote in the other list.

And pease show the details of your Emacs build, those that
report-emacs-bug collects.  It could be important.

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut... [+ help-gnu-emacs:  Invalid read syntax: ")" ]
@ 2018-05-08  0:43         ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-08  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On May 8, 2018, at 3:05, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> When I reconfigured emacs with  --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type
>> CFLAGS='-O0 -g3', to attach gdb, I ended up with a build that generated an "Invalid read syntax ")" error every
>> time I started emacs *even though I had not modified my init file* (~/.emacs.el).
>>
>> Once I reverted to a normal configuration, that same init file was evaluated without any issues.
>>
>> Also, When I was running emacs -q on that modified configuration the issue seemed to center on the (require
>> 'package) line, but when I commented it out I still had the same error...
>>
>> What can I do to investigate this ?
>
> Put a breakpoint in Fsignal, and when it reports this error, show the backtrace.

When I check the emacs manual, the only reference to Fsignal is:

"To make Lisp errors stop Emacs and return to GDB, put a breakpoint at Fsignal."

Also, there is no reference to Fsignal in the GDB manual.

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut... [+ help-gnu-emacs:  Invalid read syntax: ")" ]
@ 2018-05-08  2:32           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-08  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 09:43:56 +0900
>
>  Put a breakpoint in Fsignal, and when it reports this error, show the backtrace.
>
> When I check the emacs manual, the only reference to Fsignal is:
>
> "To make Lisp errors stop Emacs and return to GDB, put a breakpoint at Fsignal."
>
> Also, there is no reference to Fsignal in the GDB manual.

  $ cd /path/to/emacs/src
  $ gdb ./emacs
  (gdb) break Fsignal
  (gdb) commands
    > pp errror_symbol
    > end
  (gdb) run
  Thread 1 hit Breakpoint 3, Fsignal (error_symbol=XIL(0x108b0),
      data=XIL(0xc000000001976940)) at eval.c:1514
  1514      signal_or_quit (error_symbol, data, false);
  void-variable
  (gdb) continue

Keep typing "continue" until error_symbol is invalid_syntax.  Then:

  (gdb) bt

OK?

* Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut... [+ help-gnu-emacs:  Invalid read syntax: ")" ]
@ 2018-05-08  3:16             ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-05-08  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers