* mark-whole-buffer and unnecessary (point) call
@ 2017-01-28  9:37 dptd dptd
From: dptd dptd @ 2017-01-28  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello everyone,
This is my first e-mail to the emacs-devel so I hope my question will not be the stupidest one in this mailing list history. I am an Emacs newbie but I love it. I am also very interested in the lispy languages and this is why I am learning elisp - I want to contribute. I am reading “An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp” and in the section 4.3.1 Body of mark-whole-buffer there is this text:
"I don’t know why the expression in mark-whole-buffer is written (push-mark (point)) and the expression in beginning-of-buffer is written (push-mark). Perhaps whoever wrote the code did not know that the arguments for push-mark are optional and that if push-mark is not passed an argument, the function auto- matically sets mark at the location of point by default.”

I have checked the newest source from the git repo and this (point) call is still there. I removed it, evaluated and checked if the function still works and yes - it works. Is there any reason why this call is still there? I was wondering if I could / should remove it and submit my first change request. However I assume that I do not understand something here because everyone who have read this introduction knows about it.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
dptd