* Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) : trying to save as mac-roman
@ 2003-02-25 20:01 Antoine Gautier
From: Antoine Gautier @ 2003-02-25 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Here is a copy of a post I made on gnu.emacs.help, I am beginning to
suspect that I either found a bug or that my installation is flawed.

I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).

I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as

(prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
(set-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
(set default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)

with no result. The files do get saved, but are unreadable by other mac
apps. Even re-opening them with emacs I get a bunch of ????'s (only
accentuated characters such as é, à, ô, etc. come out OK : 'été' gets
saved as 'é?é').

Trying to set the coding from emacs (c-x ret f mac-roman) does not help
either.

For some odd reason I can correctly open mac-roman files, but saving
them does not work.

Also : whenever I lauch emacs.app I get the following message on
console.app :

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias
of type (regR/carP/x!bt)

but lauching terminal.app does that too.

Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in /usr/bin (?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Regards,

Antoine Gautier

Faculté des Sciences de l'administration
Université Laval
internet : http://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/personnel/gautiera/
courriel : antoine.gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 1605 bytes --]

[...]

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) : trying to save as mac-roman
@ 2003-02-25 22:38 ` Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2003-02-25 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

* Antoine Gautier <Antoine.Gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca> writes:

> I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
> on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
> encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).

What Version of Emacs have you installed. CVS-Head from today or what?

I have the build from 17.02.2003 and i have no problems to save files
with mac-roman.

> I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as
> (prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)

Is working very pretty to me.

> Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in /usr/bin (?)

I have all emacs-files installed in /usr/local/bin /usr/local/share.
That's the Default i think.

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--
(coffee-mode 1)

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) : trying to save as mac-roman
@ 2003-02-25 23:20   ` Antoine Gautier
From: Antoine Gautier @ 2003-02-25 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

The problem arises with Enhanced Carbon Emacs (v. 2.1), distributed as
a binary.

 From its page :

 >> This emacs is based on the standard emacs-21.3.50 CVS distribution

CVS version: 2002-12-01

-- see http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/enhanced-carbon-emacs/

Some friendly soul on gnu.emacs.help said it was a bug, fixed a few
weeks ago. Since I am new to emacs + no guru with compiling, I will
wait for the next binary update.

Thanks,

Antoine

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 05:38  PM, Hans-Peter Binder wrote:

> * Antoine Gautier <Antoine.Gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca> writes:
>
>> I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
>> on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
>> encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).
>
> What Version of Emacs have you installed. CVS-Head from today or what?
>
> I have the build from 17.02.2003 and i have no problems to save files
> with mac-roman.
>
>> I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as
>> (prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
>
> Is working very pretty to me.
>
>> Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in /usr/bin (?)
>
> I have all emacs-files installed in /usr/local/bin /usr/local/share.
> That's the Default i think.
>

> Regards/Gruesse
> Hans-Peter Binder
> --
> (coffee-mode 1)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 1728 bytes --]

The problem arises with Enhanced Carbon Emacs (v. 2.1), distributed as
a binary.

>From its page :

>> This emacs is based on the standard emacs-21.3.50 CVS distribution

CVS version: 2002-12-01

-- see http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/enhanced-carbon-emacs/

Some friendly soul on gnu.emacs.help said it was a bug, fixed a few
weeks ago. Since I am new to emacs + no guru with compiling, I will
wait for the next binary update.

Thanks,

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 05:38  PM, Hans-Peter Binder wrote:

<excerpt>* Antoine Gautier <<Antoine.Gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca> writes:

<excerpt>I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs
21.3.50.4)

on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman

encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).

</excerpt>

What Version of Emacs have you installed. CVS-Head from today or what?

I have the build from 17.02.2003 and i have no problems to save files

with mac-roman.

<excerpt>I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as

(prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)

</excerpt>

Is working very pretty to me.

<excerpt>Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in
/usr/bin (?)

</excerpt>

@ 2003-02-26  7:32 ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2003-02-26  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

The binary distributions of GNU Emacs on versiontracker are woefully
out of date.  I had an email conversation with the guy who posted the
"Enhanced Version" and we sort of agreed to disagree.  In any case, the
version you have is almost 3 months old and many, many bugs have been
fixed.

If you do not need to specialized LaTeX support in the "enhanced"
version I would suggest pulling down the CVS,  following the directions
at savannah:  See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs .  Once you
have that, and assuming you have installed the OSX developer tools, all
you have to do is follow the directions in the mac/INSTALL, which
contains the three commands you need to execute in the terminal.

The bigger question is what to do about the binary distributions of
21.3 that are floating around with bugs that people report.  The ones
on versiontracker all do the wrong thing, either include more than what
is needed (like this one with TeX stuff), or less than what is needed,
or install in the wrong place, like in /usr/bin.   I'm kind of
regretting the whole make-package script.

-Steven

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:01  PM, Antoine Gautier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is a copy of a post I made on gnu.emacs.help, I am beginning to
> suspect that I either found a bug or that my installation is flawed.
>
> I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
> on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
> encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).
>
> I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as
>
> (prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
> (set-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
> (set default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
>
> with no result. The files do get saved, but are unreadable by other mac
> apps. Even re-opening them with emacs I get a bunch of ????'s (only
> accentuated characters such as é, à, ô, etc. come out OK : 'été' gets
> saved as 'é?é').
>
> Trying to set the coding from emacs (c-x ret f mac-roman) does not
> help either.
>
> For some odd reason I can correctly open mac-roman files, but saving
> them does not work.
>
> Also : whenever I lauch emacs.app I get the following message on
> console.app :
>
> ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias
> of type (regR/carP/x!bt)
>
> but lauching terminal.app does that too.
>
> Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in /usr/bin (?)
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated !
>
> Regards,
>

> Antoine Gautier
>
> Faculté des Sciences de l'administration
> Université Laval
> internet : http://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/personnel/gautiera/
> courriel : antoine.gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 2982 bytes --]

[...]

<excerpt>Hi all,

@ 2003-02-26 23:51   ` Antoine Gautier
From: Antoine Gautier @ 2003-02-26 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for the instructions, but this seems to be beyond my abilities.
I do not know what 'pulling down the CVS" means (OK, this is a devel
list, but I got here trying to learn emacs...). Also, the main reason
that I want to use it is for tex/latex.

Just a try : I d'loaded emacs-21.1.tar.gz (and emacs-21.2.tar.gz) from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/ and attempted to compile :

emacs-21.1 > ./configure --without-x  --enable-carbon-app
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.4
configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `powerpc-apple-darwin6.4'
systems.
Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
emacs-21.1 >

I'm afraid this is a bit much for me...

I will wait for the next binary to come out, and see what you folks say
about it.

Cheers,

A. Gautier

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 02:32  AM, Steven Tamm wrote:

> The binary distributions of GNU Emacs on versiontracker are woefully
> out of date.  I had an email conversation with the guy who posted the
> "Enhanced Version" and we sort of agreed to disagree.  In any case,
> the version you have is almost 3 months old and many, many bugs have
> been fixed.
>
> If you do not need to specialized LaTeX support in the "enhanced"
> version I would suggest pulling down the CVS,  following the
> directions at savannah:  See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
> .  Once you have that, and assuming you have installed the OSX
> developer tools, all you have to do is follow the directions in the
> mac/INSTALL, which contains the three commands you need to execute in
> the terminal.
>
> The bigger question is what to do about the binary distributions of
> 21.3 that are floating around with bugs that people report.  The ones
> on versiontracker all do the wrong thing, either include more than
> what is needed (like this one with TeX stuff), or less than what is
> needed, or install in the wrong place, like in /usr/bin.   I'm kind of
> regretting the whole make-package script.
>
> -Steven
>
> On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:01  PM, Antoine Gautier wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is a copy of a post I made on gnu.emacs.help, I am beginning to
>> suspect that I either found a bug or that my installation is flawed.
>>
>> I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
>> on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
>> encoded files (saving as latin1 works fine).
>>
>> I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as
>>
>> (prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
>> (set-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
>> (set default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
>>
>> with no result. The files do get saved, but are unreadable by other
>> mac
>> apps. Even re-opening them with emacs I get a bunch of ????'s (only
>> accentuated characters such as é, à, ô, etc. come out OK : 'été' gets
>> saved as 'é?é').
>>
>> Trying to set the coding from emacs (c-x ret f mac-roman) does not
>> help either.
>>
>> For some odd reason I can correctly open mac-roman files, but saving
>> them does not work.
>>
>> Also : whenever I lauch emacs.app I get the following message on
>> console.app :
>>
>> ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias
>> of type (regR/carP/x!bt)
>>
>> but lauching terminal.app does that too.
>>
>> Maybe it has to do with the many emacs's installed in /usr/bin (?)
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated !
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Antoine Gautier
>>
>> Faculté des Sciences de l'administration
>> Université Laval
>> internet : http://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/personnel/gautiera/
>> courriel : antoine.gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 4100 bytes --]

[...]

<excerpt>The binary distributions of GNU Emacs on versiontracker are
[...]

</excerpt>_______________________________________________

Emacs-devel mailing list

Emacs-devel@gnu.org

</excerpt>

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) :
       [not found] <E18oBMx-0006TS-00@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-27  2:14 ` Guillaume Lessard
From: Guillaume Lessard @ 2003-02-27  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 02:32  AM, Steven Tamm wrote:

> <excerpt>The binary distributions of GNU Emacs on versiontracker are
> woefully out of date.  I had an email conversation with the guy who
> posted the "Enhanced Version" and we sort of agreed to disagree.  In
> any case, the version you have is almost 3 months old and many, many
> bugs have been fixed. =20

[snip]

> The bigger question is what to do about the binary distributions of
> 21.3 that are floating around with bugs that people report.

How about making them obsolete?

Here's the real problem: there's a major unix platform out there that is
not supported by any "released" version of Emacs. Its name is "Mac OS X".

The only reason I considered (and did) get on emacs's CVS repository is
that it was at the time the only way to actually *get* a functional
(windowed) emacs on OS X.

At this point, it works pretty well. The problems I encounter in external
packages seem to be related to changes in the lisp code between 21.3 and
21.4; fixing that most likely requires a release. (Example: JDEE became
broken on Carbon Emacs during the past 3 months; it worked fine before).

How long until 21.4 is released?

--
Guillaume Lessard
glessard@its.caltech.edu

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) :
@ 2003-02-27  9:17   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-02-27  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:14:19 -0800, Guillaume Lessard <glessard@its.caltech.edu> wrote:

> How long until 21.4 is released?

On 2002/09/27, RMS said: "21.4 is likely to be many months away."

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-09/msg00973.html.

21.2 it's been out for a year (well, its first birthday is in two weeks).
21.3 is in pretest since 2002/05/25 or so. It seems like it could hit
the streets Any Time Now. OTOH, that's been true for several months :)

There was a discussion about releases, etc. in November:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-11/msg00090.html

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) : trying to save as mac-roman
@ 2003-02-27  9:59     ` Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2003-02-27  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

* Antoine Gautier <Antoine.Gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca> writes:

> Thanks for the instructions, but this seems to be beyond my abilities.
> I do not know what 'pulling down the CVS" means (OK, this is a devel
> list, but I got here trying to learn emacs...). Also, the main reason
> that I want to use it is for tex/latex.
>
> Just a try : I d'loaded emacs-21.1.tar.gz (and emacs-21.2.tar.gz) from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/ and attempted to compile :

Only the CVS Version has support to build on MacOSX.

As Steven have said:
* I would suggest pulling down the CVS, following the directions
* at savannah: See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs .

It's easy, give it a try, in terminal.app type

cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
When prompted for a password for anoncvs, simply press the Enter key.
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

That'all you have to do. After Download you have the CVS-Head in your
Home-Dir ~/emacs to compile.

Enjoy

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--
(coffee-mode 1)

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) : trying to save as mac-roman
@ 2003-02-27 15:40       ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2003-02-27 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Antoine Gautier

Or you may download a precompiled binary from here:

http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/emacs.html

Regards,
Ovidiu

--