I have some enhancements to Dired that I offer to Emacs developers. They are in the attached file, dired+.el, which is also here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/dired+.el. A description is here (and some of it is repeated below): http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DiredPlus. Don't think of this as a standalone library to be added to Emacs as is. Think of it as snippets of code, some of which you might want to adapt or adopt. I will not spend an inordinate amount of time discussing each of the enhancements, possible changes to them, or possible combinations of them. If someone finds one or more of the enhancements useful and wants to add those, fine. If not, fine. If you like some idea but you want to implement it differently, fine - go for it. I won't spend time recoding, repackaging, chopping up, or integrating any of this. I won't propose patches. If someone else wants to do any of that, fine. If not, fine. If no one wants to look at the code, fine. Your time is limited, and so is mine. I am willing to answer clarification questions. FWIW, I and some others have been using this code for almost a decade. I think it is useful, but I won't try to convince anyone of that. ---- For those who still have no Web access, I've attached a screenshot, and I list here some of the enhancements: * Changes some key bindings and menus. * Adds some new commands. * Adds a context-sensitive popup menu on `mouse-3'. The menu differs, depending on whether or not a region is active. * Provides more mouse utility - you can select a region, then operate on its files. Alternative ways to select (mark) multiple files: . drag a region, then choose Mark in the popup menu . click, then Shift-click, as in Windows Explorer . Control-click, as in Windows Explorer (alternately marks and unmarks the file) * Provides fancy highlighting (customizable through user variables). . You can see immediately if a file has the wrong permissions (e.g. writable or executable when it shouldn't be). . Less important files (defined by variable dired-omit-extensions or completion-ignored-extensions) are in a subdued face; other files stand out more. To hide less important files altogether, use `M-o' (it's a toggle). About the highlighting - * Different faces are used for: . file extension . file name . directory name . file size . time and date . file permissions: a different face for each kind of permission (rwx-) * File and directory names can contain spaces - the entire name is highlighted. * The entire line of a less important file is lowlighted. * When a file is marked, the entire line is highlighted. * Files that are marked and files that are flagged for deletion have the mark/flag highlighted differently. * The entire line is highlighted on mouse-over, regardless of where on the line the mouse is. Click `mouse-2' anywhere on the line to open its file or directory. * When the popup `mouse-3' menu is displayed, the line it pertains to is selected (`region' face).