* bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-13 16:30 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-07-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel

Here is a bookmark.el patch with a minor enhancement to let you use another
window.

It also replaces use of `C-x r' for bookmark commands by use of `C-x p'. I
think that's better, because:

1. It reserves all of `C-x r' for register and rectangle commands. (Even
those should be split, IMO.)

2. It lets you reuse the standard bookmark keys with `C-x p', instead of
having, for instance, `j' mean jump in the bookmark-map, but `b' mean jump
when used with `C-x r'. Nothing new to remember this way: just add `C-x p'
in front of all bookmark-map keys.

----------------8<--------------------------------

*** bookmark-CVS-2007-07-13.el	Fri Jul 13 09:09:08 2007
--- bookmark-CVS-patched-2007-07-13.el	Fri Jul 13 09:23:58 2007
***************
*** 224,232 ****
  ;; Set up these bindings dumping time *only*;
  ;; if the user alters them, don't override the user when loading
bookmark.el.

! ;;;###autoload (define-key ctl-x-map "rb" 'bookmark-jump)
! ;;;###autoload (define-key ctl-x-map "rm" 'bookmark-set)
! ;;;###autoload (define-key ctl-x-map "rl" 'bookmark-bmenu-list)

  ;;;###autoload
  (defvar bookmark-map nil
--- 224,230 ----
  ;; Set up these bindings dumping time *only*;
  ;; if the user alters them, don't override the user when loading
bookmark.el.

! ;;;###autoload (define-key ctl-x-map "p" bookmark-map)

  ;;;###autoload
  (defvar bookmark-map nil
***************
*** 243,248 ****
--- 241,248 ----
  ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "m" 'bookmark-set) ; "m" for
"mark"
  ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "j" 'bookmark-jump)
  ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "g" 'bookmark-jump) ; "g" for "go"
+ ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "o" 'bookmark-jump-other-window)
+ ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "q" 'bookmark-jump-other-window)
  ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "i" 'bookmark-insert)
  ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "e" 'edit-bookmarks)
  ;;;###autoload (define-key bookmark-map "f" 'bookmark-insert-location) ;
"f" for "find"
***************
*** 1082,1087 ****
--- 1082,1106 ----
               ;; show it in a buffer.
               (bookmark-show-annotation bookmark)))))

+ ;;;###autoload
+ (defun bookmark-jump-other-window (bookmark)
+   "Jump to BOOKMARK (a point in some file) in another window.
+ See `bookmark-jump'."
+   (interactive
+    (let ((bkm (bookmark-completing-read "Jump to bookmark (in another
window)"
+                                         bookmark-current-bookmark)))
+      (if (> emacs-major-version 21)
+          (list bkm) bkm)))
+   (when bookmark
+     (bookmark-maybe-historicize-string bookmark)
+     (let ((cell (bookmark-jump-noselect bookmark)))
+       (and cell
+            (switch-to-buffer-other-window (car cell))
+            (goto-char (cdr cell))
+            (if bookmark-automatically-show-annotations
+                ;; if there is an annotation for this bookmark,
+                ;; show it in a buffer.
+                (bookmark-show-annotation bookmark))))))

  (defun bookmark-file-or-variation-thereof (file)
    "Return FILE (a string) if it exists, or return a reasonable

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-13 18:27 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2007-07-13 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

> Here is a bookmark.el patch with a minor enhancement to let you use another
> window.
>
> It also replaces use of `C-x r' for bookmark commands by use of `C-x p'. I
> think that's better, because:
>
> 1. It reserves all of `C-x r' for register and rectangle commands. (Even
> those should be split, IMO.)
>
> 2. It lets you reuse the standard bookmark keys with `C-x p', instead of
> having, for instance, `j' mean jump in the bookmark-map, but `b' mean jump
> when used with `C-x r'. Nothing new to remember this way: just add `C-x p'
> in front of all bookmark-map keys.

Thanks.  I've committed these (in separate commits, because they're
two independent changes).

Please speak up, folks, if you think this new mapping is not good.  I
understand that changing from a few keys under `C-x r' to a whole
keymap under `C-x p' might be controversial, as space under ctl-x-map
is scarce.  I'm happy to revert, remap in some other way, whatever.

For reference, the commits are:

   revision 1.90, commitid mWoPbju3pgNotDps
   revision 1.92, commitid iTjqYHP9NtkZuDps

-Karl

@ 2007-07-13 23:09 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-13 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

I have no objection to this, but it is an incompatible change, so we
need to wait for people to comment before it is installed.

If installed, it needs an item in etc/NEWS and changes in the Emacs Manual.

I hope that nobody rushed to install this!

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-13 23:21   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2007-07-13 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> I have no objection to this, but it is an incompatible change, so we
> need to wait for people to comment before it is installed.
>
> If installed, it needs an item in etc/NEWS and changes in the Emacs Manual.

I had already committed the updates to the Emacs Manual, and took care
of etc/NEWs just now.

(I think further improvements to the manual are possible, but at least
it's accurate now.)

> I hope that nobody rushed to install this!

Oops.  Do "installed" and "committed" mean the same thing?

I'm watching here for comments, as my followup mail said, and will
revert or tweak promptly based on people's reaction.  (I think that's
a good way to manage things, because that way all the potentially
revertible state is maintained in the VC system, rather than spread
between my working copy and the mail archives.)

-Karl

* RE: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-13 23:29     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-07-13 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel, rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > I have no objection to this, but it is an incompatible change, so we
> > need to wait for people to comment before it is installed.
> >
> > If installed, it needs an item in etc/NEWS and changes in the
> > Emacs Manual.
>
> I had already committed the updates to the Emacs Manual, and took care
> of etc/NEWs just now.

Thanks for doing that; I was starting to do a NEWS entry when I got your
message.

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-13 23:37 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-07-13 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

> Here is a bookmark.el patch with a minor enhancement to let you use another
> window.
>
> It also replaces use of `C-x r' for bookmark commands by use of `C-x p'. I
> think that's better, because:
>
> 1. It reserves all of `C-x r' for register and rectangle commands. (Even
> those should be split, IMO.)
>
> 2. It lets you reuse the standard bookmark keys with `C-x p', instead of
> having, for instance, `j' mean jump in the bookmark-map, but `b' mean jump
> when used with `C-x r'. Nothing new to remember this way: just add `C-x p'
> in front of all bookmark-map keys.

But why C-x p ??

Personally, I would reserve C-x p for printing commands.

I suggest using C-x j as bookmark prefix.

Then C-x j j would be bookmark jump (which is easy to type)
and C-x j m (mark) is nicely close to type easily as well...

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-13 23:55   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2007-07-13 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: Drew Adams, Emacs-Devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> But why C-x p ??
>
> Personally, I would reserve C-x p for printing commands.
>
> I suggest using C-x j as bookmark prefix.
>
> Then C-x j j would be bookmark jump (which is easy to type)
> and C-x j m (mark) is nicely close to type easily as well...

Agreed; C-x j seems better.

I'll wait for this thread to come to a consensus before making that
change, though.  At this point, it will be quite trivial to move the
keybindings around; I can do it as soon as we're agreed.

If nobody says anything for a few days, then I'll just assume C-x j is
the prefix and will do that.

-Karl

* RE: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-14  0:01   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-07-14  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

> > Here is a bookmark.el patch with a minor enhancement to let you
> > use another window.
> >
> > It also replaces use of `C-x r' for bookmark commands by use of
> > `C-x p'. I think that's better, because:
> >
> > 1. It reserves all of `C-x r' for register and rectangle commands. (Even
> > those should be split, IMO.)
> >
> > 2. It lets you reuse the standard bookmark keys with `C-x p', instead of
> > having, for instance, `j' mean jump in the bookmark-map, but
> > `b' mean jump when used with `C-x r'. Nothing new to remember this way:
> > just add `C-x p' in front of all bookmark-map keys.
>
> But why C-x p ??

No special reason. I've been using that for years, but anything else would
do.

These are already taken: `b' (for `bookmark'), `f' (for `favorite'), `s'
(for `saved place'), and `d' (for `dog-ear').

> Personally, I would reserve C-x p for printing commands.
> I suggest using C-x j as bookmark prefix.

OK by me. I doubt we'll find a character that's mnemonic for what bookmarks
are, anyway.

> Then C-x j j would be bookmark jump (which is easy to type)
> and C-x j m (mark) is nicely close to type easily as well...

Go for it.

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-14 18:17     ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2007-07-14 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel; +Cc: Drew Adams

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:
> Modified files:
> 	man            : ChangeLog
>
> Log message:
> 	* regs.texi (Bookmarks): Adjust for recent keybinding changes in
> 	  bookmark.el, namely revision 1.90 (commitid mWoPbju3pgNotDps) and
> 	  revision 1.92 (commitid iTjqYHP9NtkZuDps).
>
> CVSWeb URLs:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/man/ChangeLog?\
> cvsroot=emacs&r1=1.1300&r2=1.1301

I found this doc update lying around in my working copy -- apparently,
I'd forgotten to commit it.  Sorry.

The original change for which the above updates the documentation was
an incompatible change.  RMS pointed out that incompatible changes
should be discussed first, and only then committed.  The original
change had already gone in by that point.  Since the most important
thing is to have a consistent state in the tree (either all in or all
out), I checked in the uncommitted doc updates above.

So now we have a consistent state.  If necessary, I can revert it all
while we wait for consensus (which it looks like we have, but a few
more days for comments wouldn't hurt), or I can just know for next
time about the discuss-before-commit system for incompatible changes.

My default is just to leave it, since the discussion is already well
under way and we have no objections so far.  (I'll adjust the actual
keybindings later, as mentioned earlier in this thread.)

However, I wanted to post this so everyone knows what's going on.

-Karl

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-14 22:33     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-14 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: emacs-devel, drew.adams, storm

Please do not define either C-x p or C-x j.  Merely to separate the
bookmark commands from the register commands is not a good reason
to use up one of those two slots.

If we had lots of such prefixes available, then I'd be all in favor of
using one for this.  But we don't, so we should save them for
something more important.

Please put the bookmark commands on C-x r where they were before.

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-14 22:47       ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2007-07-14 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel, drew.adams, storm

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> Please do not define either C-x p or C-x j.  Merely to separate the
> bookmark commands from the register commands is not a good reason
> to use up one of those two slots.
>
> If we had lots of such prefixes available, then I'd be all in favor of
> using one for this.  But we don't, so we should save them for
> something more important.
>
> Please put the bookmark commands on C-x r where they were before.

Will do.

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-15 20:46         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-07-15 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: storm, rms, drew.adams, emacs-devel

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>> Please do not define either C-x p or C-x j.  Merely to separate the
>> bookmark commands from the register commands is not a good reason
>> to use up one of those two slots.
>>
>> If we had lots of such prefixes available, then I'd be all in favor of
>> using one for this.  But we don't, so we should save them for
>> something more important.
>>
>> Please put the bookmark commands on C-x r where they were before.
>
> Will do.

Then what about a prefix `C-x r b'?

C-x r b b - easy to type for users accustomed to `C-x r b',
            just repeat the last key twice;
C-x r b j - good mnemonics ("bookmark jump")
C-x r b l - bookmark-bmenu-list
C-x r b s - bookmark-set

Another variant is to use a prefix `C-x B' with the uppercase `B',
but I don't understand why there are no other C-x prefix key sequences
with uppercase letters.  Examples:

C-x B j - bookmark-jump
C-x B l - bookmark-bmenu-list
C-x B s - bookmark-set

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: kfogel, storm, drew.adams, emacs-devel

    Then what about a prefix `C-x r b'?

    C-x r b b - easy to type for users accustomed to `C-x r b',
		just repeat the last key twice;
    C-x r b j - good mnemonics ("bookmark jump")
    C-x r b l - bookmark-bmenu-list
    C-x r b s - bookmark-set

That would make the commands longer, and harder to type.
It is better to make no change.

    Another variant is to use a prefix `C-x B' with the uppercase `B',
    but I don't understand why there are no other C-x prefix key sequences
    with uppercase letters.  Examples:

    C-x B j - bookmark-jump
    C-x B l - bookmark-bmenu-list
    C-x B s - bookmark-set

That would also be harder to type.  Also, I'd rather avoid
making the character after C-x case-sensitive.

@ 2007-07-27 11:07             ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-07-27 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Juri Linkov, kfogel, emacs-devel, drew.adams, storm

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Then what about a prefix `C-x r b'?
> That would make the commands longer, and harder to type.
> It is better to make no change.
>
>     Another variant is to use a prefix `C-x B' with the uppercase `B',
>     but I don't understand why there are no other C-x prefix key sequences
>     with uppercase letters.  Examples:

> That would also be harder to type.  Also, I'd rather avoid
> making the character after C-x case-sensitive.

And delegating the register commands to C-x C-1 and using the sequence
C-x r exclusively for bookmarks?  C-x C-1 is quite fast to type since
the CTRL key is already pressed and register have something to do with
numbers.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-27 11:11               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-07-27 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Wilhelm; +Cc: kfogel, rms, emacs-devel, Juri Linkov, storm, drew.adams

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     Then what about a prefix `C-x r b'?
>> That would make the commands longer, and harder to type.
>> It is better to make no change.
>>
>>     Another variant is to use a prefix `C-x B' with the uppercase `B',
>>     but I don't understand why there are no other C-x prefix key sequences
>>     with uppercase letters.  Examples:

>> That would also be harder to type.  Also, I'd rather avoid
>> making the character after C-x case-sensitive.
>
> And delegating the register commands to C-x C-1

Can't be typed on a tty.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: bookmark.el patch for 1) other window and 2) C-x p instead of C-x r
@ 2007-07-27 11:34                 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-07-27 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Juri Linkov, rms, emacs-devel, kfogel, storm, drew.adams

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>> And delegating the register commands to C-x C-1
>
> Can't be typed on a tty.

Thank you for the objection.  I'm sorry for my flimsy idea (working
hardly on ttys ...).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm