* lisp-mode and buffer local variables
@ 2011-06-08 21:47 Nikodemus Siivola
From: Nikodemus Siivola @ 2011-06-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm working on styles for Common Lisp indentation in my cl-indent.el
fork. The intention is to use a buffer local variable
common-lisp-style to set things up:

;; -*- common-lisp-style: foo -*-

However, lisp-mode kills all buffer local variables, and I'm uncertain
how to best deal with this. As a somewhat terrible workaround I
currently add a lisp-mode-hook:

;;; `lisp-mode' kills all buffer-local variables. Get them back, and magically
;;; use the right indentation function.
;;;
;;; FIXME: there has got to be a better way to do this for Common Lisp files
;;; only, without requiring .emacs customizations.
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (hack-local-variables)
            (when common-lisp-style
              (set (make-local-variable 'lisp-indent-function)
                   'common-lisp-indent-function)
              (common-lisp-set-style (symbol-name common-lisp-style)))))

This, however seems pretty intrusive. ...what should I be doing instead?

Cheers,

 -- nikodemus

* Re: lisp-mode and buffer local variables
@ 2011-06-08 22:36 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-06-08 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikodemus Siivola; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2011-06-09 05:47 +0800, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> However, lisp-mode kills all buffer local variables, and I'm uncertain
> how to best deal with this.

See:

,----[ kill-all-local-variables ]
| As a special exception, local variables whose names have
| a non-nil `permanent-local' property are not eliminated by this function.
`----

Leo

* Re: lisp-mode and buffer local variables
@ 2011-06-09  4:20   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-06-09  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: Nikodemus Siivola, emacs-devel

>> However, lisp-mode kills all buffer local variables, and I'm uncertain
>> how to best deal with this.
> ,----[ kill-all-local-variables ]
> | As a special exception, local variables whose names have
> | a non-nil `permanent-local' property are not eliminated by this function.
> `----

No need for that.  What he wants is for lisp-mode to use a hook run after
hack-local-variables to inspect the value of common-lisp-style and set
variables base on it.  Oh wait there is one, it's called
`hack-local-variables-hook'.

* Re: lisp-mode and buffer local variables
@ 2011-06-09 11:18     ` Nikodemus Siivola
From: Nikodemus Siivola @ 2011-06-09 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

On 9 June 2011 07:20, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> ,----[ kill-all-local-variables ]

> No need for that.  What he wants is for lisp-mode to use a hook run after
> hack-local-variables to inspect the value of common-lisp-style and set
> variables base on it.  Oh wait there is one, it's called
> `hack-local-variables-hook'.

Thank you, both.

Stefan -- I'm missing something. Since lisp-mode kills all local
variables, without setting permanent-local all changes I might make in
hack-local-variables-hook are lost.

@ 2011-06-09 15:17       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-06-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikodemus Siivola; +Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

>> No need for that.  What he wants is for lisp-mode to use a hook run after
>> hack-local-variables to inspect the value of common-lisp-style and set
>> variables base on it.  Oh wait there is one, it's called
>> `hack-local-variables-hook'.

> Thank you, both.

> Stefan -- I'm missing something. Since lisp-mode kills all local
> variables, without setting permanent-local all changes I might make in
> hack-local-variables-hook are lost.

Doesn't matter: lisp-mode is called before hack-local-variables
(otherwise file-local variables would never work).