* git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-25 14:10 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-05-25 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi folks,

seems Emacs git mirrors like

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs.git;a=summary

and

http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git

are no longer up-to-date, as it's used to be for a long time.

Might that be due to the fact, it's maintainers have been discouraged
rather than being appreciated for it?

Please take my regrets, as

http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git for example

has been felt 5-10 times faster than

bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org

That's a serious set-back.

Regards,

Andreas

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-25 14:52 ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2011-05-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: Emacs developers

Am 25.05.2011 um 16:10 schrieb Andreas Röhler:

> Hi folks,
>
> seems Emacs git mirrors like
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs.git;a=summary
>
> and
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git
>
> are no longer up-to-date, as it's used to be for a long time.
>
> Might that be due to the fact, it's maintainers have been discouraged
> rather than being appreciated for it?

The mirrors on github and gitorious seem to get regular updates, so you
may want to use one of those (see
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFromGit).

Cheers,
       Sven

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-25 15:47   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-05-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: Emacs developers

Am 25.05.2011 16:52, schrieb Sven Joachim:
> Am 25.05.2011 um 16:10 schrieb Andreas Röhler:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> seems Emacs git mirrors like
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs.git;a=summary
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git
>>
>> are no longer up-to-date, as it's used to be for a long time.
>>
>> Might that be due to the fact, it's maintainers have been discouraged
>> rather than being appreciated for it?
>
> The mirrors on github and gitorious seem to get regular updates, so you
> may want to use one of those (see
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFromGit).
>
> Cheers,
>         Sven

https://github.com/emacsmirror/emacs.git

looks good, while

http://gitorious.org/emacsmirror/emacs

says

"Mirror of git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git (webinterface:
http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git) which in turn mirrors the official"

ie the latter wouldn't help.

Thanks,

@ 2011-05-25 23:59 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-25 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: Emacs developers

This Git mirror business is sad, indeed.
Could some people (plural, ideally) volunteer to maintain the
git.sv.gnu.org mirror up to date?  That would be very appreciated.

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-26  0:06   ` Justin Lilly
From: Justin Lilly @ 2011-05-26  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Andreas Röhler, Emacs developers

If someone can give me information on how and the power to do so, I'd
happily keep it up to date.

 -justin

@ 2011-05-26  5:49     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-05-26  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2011-05-26 08:06 +0800, Justin Lilly wrote:
> If someone can give me information on how and the power to do so, I'd
> happily keep it up to date.
>
>  -justin

Thank you very much in advance.

Leo

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-26  6:04   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-05-26  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Justin Lilly, Emacs developers

Am 26.05.2011 01:59, schrieb Stefan Monnier:
> This Git mirror business is sad, indeed.
> Could some people (plural, ideally) volunteer to maintain the
> git.sv.gnu.org mirror up to date?  That would be very appreciated.
>

>          Stefan

Hi,

AFAIS Emacs is going to lose two mirrors maintained by people with
excellent skills in the area and beside.

Im afraid two hands are enough when counting active developers of this
quality. When counting people with related git-skills at the dispose of
Emacs, one hand will be sufficient.

Maybe it's worth to re-consider policy with this respect.

Cheers,

@ 2011-05-26  8:06     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-05-26  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Lilly; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs developers

Am 26.05.2011 02:06, schrieb Justin Lilly:
> If someone can give me information on how and the power to do so, I'd
> happily keep it up to date.
>
>   -justin
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>  wrote:
>> This Git mirror business is sad, indeed.
>> Could some people (plural, ideally) volunteer to maintain the
>> git.sv.gnu.org mirror up to date?  That would be very appreciated.
>>

>>         Stefan

Thanks, below still an example pointing at the convenience of working
from git:

# time git log -n 2 python.el

commit ed1bddbcac62ff082e95e6284fc5d9cbfa08e8f5
Author: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Date:   Mon May 23 20:38:35 2011 -0700

     * lisp/progmodes/python.el (brm-menu): Declare.

commit 6d2a36bee127dc4d3fe591dadf8fc30e6b4502f9
Author: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Date:   Mon May 23 14:57:17 2011 -0300

     Don't quote lambda expressions with `quote'.

real	0m0.122s
user	0m0.020s
sys	0m0.024s

;;;;;;;

# time bzr log -l 2 python.el

revno: 104337
committer: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Mon 2011-05-23 20:38:35 -0700
message:
   * lisp/progmodes/python.el (brm-menu): Declare.
revno: 104332
committer: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Mon 2011-05-23 14:57:17 -0300
message:
   Don't quote lambda expressions with `quote'.

real	0m29.459s
user	0m24.554s
sys	0m0.716s

;;;;

@ 2011-05-26  8:28       ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2011-05-26  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas.roehler; +Cc: justin, monnier, emacs-devel

> Thanks, below still an example pointing at the convenience of working
> from git:
>
> # time git log -n 2 python.el
>
> real	0m0.122s
> user	0m0.020s
> sys	0m0.024s
>
> ;;;;;;;
>
> # time bzr log -l 2 python.el
>
> real	0m29.459s
> user	0m24.554s
> sys	0m0.716s
>
> ;;;;

Maybe this is of relevance:

  http://bazaarvcs.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/faster-large-tree-handling/

    Werner

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-26 10:16       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: justin, monnier, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:06:37 +0200
> From: Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
> 	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Thanks, below still an example pointing at the convenience of working
> from git:
>
> # time git log -n 2 python.el
> [...]
> real	0m0.122s
> user	0m0.020s
> sys	0m0.024s
>
> # time bzr log -l 2 python.el
> [...]
> real	0m29.459s
> user	0m24.554s
> sys	0m0.716s

It is meaningless to pick up a random command and compare based on
that command alone.  Here's another meaningless comparison:

  eliz@fencepost:~/bzr/emacs/trunk$ time bzr annotate src/xdisp.c > /dev/null
  real    1m43.832s
  user    1m25.740s
  sys     0m3.110s
  eliz@fencepost:~/git/emacs$ time git annotate src/xdisp.c > /dev/null
  real    5m9.646s
  user    4m18.400s
  sys     0m3.580s

I don't know how frequently you need to know the last 2 changes of
python.el, but the number of times I needed to annotate xdisp.c during
the last 2 years is about twice a week.  I will gladly trade a 29-sec
wait for 3.5 min wait.  YMMV.

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-26 10:58         ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-05-26 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: justin, monnier, emacs-devel

Am 26.05.2011 12:16, schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:06:37 +0200
>> From: Andreas Röhler<andreas.roehler@online.de>
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>> 	Emacs developers<emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> Thanks, below still an example pointing at the convenience of working
>> from git:
>>
>> # time git log -n 2 python.el
>> [...]
>> real	0m0.122s
>> user	0m0.020s
>> sys	0m0.024s
>>
>> # time bzr log -l 2 python.el
>> [...]
>> real	0m29.459s
>> user	0m24.554s
>> sys	0m0.716s
>
> It is meaningless to pick up a random command and compare based on
> that command alone.  Here's another meaningless comparison:
>
>    eliz@fencepost:~/bzr/emacs/trunk$ time bzr annotate src/xdisp.c>  /dev/null
>    real    1m43.832s
>    user    1m25.740s
>    sys     0m3.110s
>    eliz@fencepost:~/git/emacs$ time git annotate src/xdisp.c>  /dev/null
>    real    5m9.646s
>    user    4m18.400s
>    sys     0m3.580s
>
> I don't know how frequently you need to know the last 2 changes of
> python.el, but the number of times I needed to annotate xdisp.c during
> the last 2 years is about twice a week.  I will gladly trade a 29-sec
> wait for 3.5 min wait.  YMMV.

Interesting, thanks.

BTW found a text discussing that as special slowness in git, with some
recommendation to work around

http://ondioline.org/mail/bitkeeper-and-the-genesis-of-git

As for the daily work indeed I have a look quite often at the last commits.

@ 2011-05-26 11:27           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-26 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: justin, monnier, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 12:58:53 +0200
> From: Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de>
> CC: justin@justinlilly.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> As for the daily work indeed I have a look quite often at the last commits.

Me too, but not normally for specific files.  Just "bzr log -l N" is
much faster, because it doesn't need to dig into the history looking
for a specific file.

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-27 15:01     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-05-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Lilly; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs developers

> If someone can give me information on how and the power to do so, I'd
> happily keep it up to date.

I see nobody else replied, so here is what I know:
- I'm not sure about the current permissions on the emacs.git tree.
  If all is well there, all you need to be added as member of the
  `emacs' savannah project and that will give you write access.
  But IIRC there were some problems around this in the past.
- I'm not sure either how the conversion from Bzr to Git is done.
  IIUC it uses the fast-export/fast-import thingy, but other than that,
  I do not what is involved.
Could someone help?  Andreas?

* Re: git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-27 15:11       ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-05-27 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Justin Lilly, Andreas Schwab, Emacs developers

On Fri, May 27 2011, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I see nobody else replied, so here is what I know:
> - I'm not sure about the current permissions on the emacs.git tree.
>   If all is well there, all you need to be added as member of the
>   `emacs' savannah project and that will give you write access.
>   But IIRC there were some problems around this in the past.
> - I'm not sure either how the conversion from Bzr to Git is done.
>   IIUC it uses the fast-export/fast-import thingy, but other than that,
>   I do not what is involved.
> Could someone help?  Andreas?

Personally, I use git-bzr-ng¹ and it works well for such a thing, and
is pretty straightforward to use.

¹  https://github.com/termie/git-bzr-ng

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* git source mirrors inactive
@ 2011-05-29  2:27       ` T.V. Raman
From: T.V. Raman @ 2011-05-29  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Justin Lilly, Andreas Schwab, Emacs developers

Stefane, the git mirror on savannah has not updated since Apr 1
-- at least head lisp/Changelog shows a date of Apr 1.
--
Best Regards,
--raman

--