* gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-21 21:19 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I think it's time to switch gnutls on by default in network-stream.el
(for Emacsen that has support compiled in, that is).  It seems to work
fine for people who are using it, but we won't get a thorough testing
until more people are exposed to it.

So unless anybody objects, I'm going to commit that tomorrow.

* Re: gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-22  2:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-06-22  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:19:08 +0200
>
> I think it's time to switch gnutls on by default in network-stream.el
> (for Emacsen that has support compiled in, that is).

Please also check that the support is available, not just compiled
in.  The necessary dynamic libraries and the gnutls executable may not
be available, even if the support is compiled in.

* Re: gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-22 10:06   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Please also check that the support is available, not just compiled
> in.  The necessary dynamic libraries and the gnutls executable may not
> be available, even if the support is compiled in.

Yes, I'll be using Juanma's `gnutls-available-p' function, which should
do the right thing.

* Re: gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-22 10:09   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-06-22 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:54, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Please also check that the support is available, not just compiled
> in.  The necessary dynamic libraries and the gnutls executable may not
> be available, even if the support is compiled in.

How is that possible without unnecessarily loading libgnutls-26.dll?

As a last resort, I suppose we could add a
`dynamic-library-available-p' whose Windows implementation would load
and unload the library.

    Juanma

* Re: gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-22 10:19     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2011-06-22 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:06, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Yes, I'll be using Juanma's `gnutls-available-p' function, which should
> do the right thing.

OK, I suppose open-network-stream is not called until it is needed, so
please dismiss my previous message.

    Juanma

* Re: gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-22 17:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-06-22 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> So unless anybody objects, I'm going to commit that tomorrow.

Go for it,

* Re: gnutls on by default
@ 2011-06-26  8:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-26  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I think it's time to switch gnutls on by default in network-stream.el
> (for Emacsen that has support compiled in, that is).

I've now done this.