On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > In the latest version of OS X Apple has introduced "Press and Hold". > > In Emacs, it's on by default. This translates to in Emacs, any > alphanumeric > > key, when held down not in combination of any key modifiers, only one key > > press is emitted, in contrast with the previous behavior where the key is > > repeated as fast as your system repeat rate is set. > > IIUC this is because "press and hold" is then interpreted as "choose > among various chars" instead of "auto-repeat". This feature makes sense > when the key is bound to self-insert-command (whether you like it or > not is another issue, but at least I don't see a reason why Emacs > should necessarily disable it rather than obey the user's system-wide > preference for it), but it clearly makes no sense when the key is bound > to some unrelated command. > If it did something useful, I'd agree with you. However, in it's current state, even bound to self-insert-command, it appears to do nothing useful and everything harmful. AEIOUY are repeated according to system repeat rate, all other alphanumeric keys are not repeated (although, when pressing a keyboard modifier, even shift, all press-and-hold incur repeated keystrokes). Not sure how/if Emacs can enable/disable it selectively depending on the > current binding of the key. > I'm not sure either... unfortunately this is not a setting that can be changed after Emacs has started. > > > Fortunately, there is a workaround, shown to me by hober of #emacs. If > this > > is added at the top of your emacs config file (such that it is executed > > before the frame is fully initialized): > > > (ns-set-resource nil "ApplePressAndHoldEnabled" "NO") > > Maybe we should include it in lisp/term/mac-win.el for now? > That sounds good... but do you mean ns-win.el? Tim