* Feature change or bug - Emacs server
@ 2011-06-09  6:47 Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2011-06-09  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi All,

just wanted to check to see if changed functionality I've noticed is a
deliberate feature change or a bug.

Running Emacs GTK+ 24 (recent bzr) under X (xfce wm).

I have my EDITOR environment variable set to emacsclient. Previously, when I
did something like cron -e or git commit -a, emacs would popup a new frame
on the virtual diesktop where I issued the command, I would make the
changes, do the normal C-x 4 and the frame would close, returning me to the
terminal and the command that triggered the edit would complete its work.
All good and I liked the behavior.

However, I now find that doing the exact same workflow causes an existing
emacs fram from another virtual desktop to be moved to the virtual desktop
containing the terminal where I ran cron/git/whatever that triggered the
workflow i.e. not a new frame. When I complete the edit and hit C-x 4, the
emacs buffer closes and switches back to its previous contents, but the
frame stays on this virtual desktop. I now have to move the frame back to
its original virtual desktop or to the side so that I can get back to the
terminal. All behavior which is not as good as it was previously.

My real problem is that I've just switched from Gnome/compiz and don't know
if the changes are observing are due to changes iin emacsclient (I've
noticed some posts concerning emacsclient recently) or is it because of
differences between GNOME and XFCE?  Perhaps I need to add additional
switches/config settings under xfce? Quite happy to do more testing to try
and work things out, but figured I may as well check to see if anyone else
has noticed the same or can offer some advice (especially as there has
recently been a few issues with bzr emacs and X, which now appear to be
resolved i.e. clipboard communication timeouts, slow exiting, random crashes
etc).

Tim

* Feature change or bug - Emacs server
@ 2011-06-13 16:49 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2011-06-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, emacs-devel

Ted,

1+ on not attempting to implement  what you call the pile of
undefined / open-ended Web specs in Emacs -- I say this even
though I would love to have a full-fledged browser in Emacs.

Eventually, I think we should connect emacs to Firefox and / or
Chrome over a socket -- mozrepl for Firefox did a lot of this,
but appears to have stalled. Chrome has a socket-level debugging
protocol that could be leveraged for this -- google searches
showed an early glimpse of this at github.

Tim, that may be something you might want to look at.

As someone who "already" uses Emacs as the desktop (via
Emacspeak), I definitely think emacs-panel.el could make the
Emacspeak Audio Desktop even better -- and I look forward to
it. One of the first things I would want is to mimic things like
nm-applet -- today, that's one of the few things I find
impossible to do without waving a mouse at the Gnome GUI.