* easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  1:56 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-07-16  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A lot of FOSS projects have a list of tasks for potential contributors that are split between easy/moderate/hard or easy/medium/big. It makes entry into the project easier. Is there such a catalogue for emacs development ?

Jean-Christophe

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  2:07 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-07-16  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:
> A lot of FOSS projects have a list of tasks for potential contributors that are split between easy/moderate/hard or easy/medium/big. It makes entry into the project easier. Is there such a catalogue for emacs development ?

I tagged a few bugs as "easy", you can see the current list here:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?include=tags%3Aeasy;package=emacs
So far nobody else has done such tagging, as far as I know, so the
list is pretty short.

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  2:41   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-07-16  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 11:07, Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A lot of FOSS projects have a list of tasks for potential contributors that are split between easy/moderate/hard or easy/medium/big. It makes entry into the project easier. Is there such a catalogue for emacs development ?
>
> I tagged a few bugs as "easy", you can see the current list here:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?include=tags%3Aeasy;package=emacs
> So far nobody else has done such tagging, as far as I know, so the
> list is pretty short.

Thank you Noam. I'm guessing there is no general "task" or "rfe" system for emacs development?

In my email, I'm tagging tasks that I said I'd handle or I want to get involved with. But it only covers topics discussed in the past months.  I've not yet "discovered" the system that documents where to look for issues I can tackle.

Jean-Christophe

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  2:54     ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-07-16  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Noam. I'm guessing there is no general "task" or "rfe" system for emacs development?
>
> In my email, I'm tagging tasks that I said I'd handle or I want to get involved with. But it only covers topics discussed in the past months.  I've not yet "discovered" the system that documents where to look for issues I can tackle.

The bug tracker (web interface at [1], M-x install-package debbugs RET
for an Emacs interface) mostly fills that role. There is also
etc/TODO, and some places in the code have TODO lists or comments as
well.

[1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;max-bugs=100;base-order=1;bug-rev=1

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  2:59       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-07-16  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 11:54, Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> The bug tracker (web interface at [1], M-x install-package debbugs RET
> for an Emacs interface) mostly fills that role. There is also
> etc/TODO, and some places in the code have TODO lists or comments as
> well.
>
> [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;max-bugs=100;base-order=1;bug-rev=1

Is there anything about for ex. documentation (that would not be in etc/TODO) ?
Is there a road map (there is one for Magit, but I understand it is not a general practice in foss projects) ?

Jean-Christophe

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  3:14         ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-07-16  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything about for ex. documentation (that would not be in etc/TODO) ?

There are lots bugs in the tracker regarding documentation. The search
capabilities are a bit weak, but this could get you started:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;include=subject%3Adocstring;include=subject%3Adoc+string;include=subject%3Adocumentation

> Is there a road map (there is one for Magit, but I understand it is not a general practice in foss projects) ?

There's no Emacs road map, everyone working on Emacs follows their own
personal map :)

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16  4:02           ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-07-16  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 12:14, Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there anything about for ex. documentation (that would not be in etc/TODO) ?
>
> There are lots bugs in the tracker regarding documentation. The search
> capabilities are a bit weak, but this could get you started:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;include=subject%3Adocstring;include=subject%3Adoc+string;include=subject%3Adocumentation

There ought to be a "documentation" tag somewhere...

>> Is there a road map (there is one for Magit, but I understand it is not a general practice in foss projects) ?
>
> There's no Emacs road map, everyone working on Emacs follows their own
> personal map :)

Thank you. I guess I have a road map now... :)

Jean-Christophe

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-16 22:09             ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-07-16 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary
<jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:

> There ought to be a "documentation" tag somewhere...

Yeah. I added "doc of" and "manual" to the search terms, dropped a few
false positives, and added the usertag "documentation" to the rest.
You can find the result at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?users=emacs;tag=documentation

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-17  0:23               ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-07-17  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 7:09, Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary
> <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There ought to be a "documentation" tag somewhere...
>
> Yeah. I added "doc of" and "manual" to the search terms, dropped a few
> false positives, and added the usertag "documentation" to the rest.
> You can find the result at
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?users=emacs;tag=documentation

Amazing job :) Thank you !

Jean-Christophe

* Re: easy tasks ?
@ 2017-07-17  6:29               ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2017-07-17  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: Jean-Christophe Helary, emacs-devel

Noam Postavsky <npostavs@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Yeah. I added "doc of" and "manual" to the search terms, dropped a few
> false positives, and added the usertag "documentation" to the rest.
> You can find the result at
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?users=emacs;tag=documentation

<advertisement>
If you have installed the debbugs package from GNU ELPA, you could apply

M-x debbugs-gnu-usertags RET

You will see all existing user tags for the "emacs" debbugs
package. Selecting "documentation" shows you all such tagged bugs.
</advertisement>

Best regards, Michael.