* the future of longlines-mode
@ 2009-08-27 21:19 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-08-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Will longlines-mode be marked obsolete in Emacs 23.2 and removed in
Emacs 24?

Warnings could be printed in Emacs 23.2 when `turn-on-longlines-mode'
is called, and Emacs 24 could automatically enable `visual-line-mode'
in its place.  It is not perfectly compatible, of course, but it
probably DTRT for the vast majority of users, while the few others can
probably be trusted to install longlines manually as an add-on.

* Re: the future of longlines-mode
@ 2009-08-27 22:24 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-08-27 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs Development

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Will longlines-mode be marked obsolete in Emacs 23.2 and removed in
> Emacs 24?
>
> Warnings could be printed in Emacs 23.2 when `turn-on-longlines-mode'
> is called, and Emacs 24 could automatically enable `visual-line-mode'
> in its place.  It is not perfectly compatible, of course, but it
> probably DTRT for the vast majority of users, while the few others can
> probably be trusted to install longlines manually as an add-on.

I've been meaning to do that, but first I'd like to implement the
"specify a wrap column other than the right window edge" feature.  I've
been too busy to work on this, though.

* Re: the future of longlines-mode
@ 2009-08-27 22:38   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-27 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: David Reitter, Emacs Development

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Chong Yidong<cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Will longlines-mode be marked obsolete in Emacs 23.2 and removed in
>> Emacs 24?
>>
>> Warnings could be printed in Emacs 23.2 when `turn-on-longlines-mode'
>> is called, and Emacs 24 could automatically enable `visual-line-mode'
>> in its place.  It is not perfectly compatible, of course, but it
>> probably DTRT for the vast majority of users, while the few others can
>> probably be trusted to install longlines manually as an add-on.
>
> I've been meaning to do that, but first I'd like to implement the
> "specify a wrap column other than the right window edge" feature.  I've
> been too busy to work on this, though.

I am currently changing the margins to do something like that, but
that is a bit shaky. See wrap-to-fill.el:

   http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nxhtml/nxhtml/main/files/head%3A/util/

* Re: the future of longlines-mode
@ 2009-08-27 22:41   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2009-08-27 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I've been meaning to do that, but first I'd like to implement the
> "specify a wrap column other than the right window edge" feature.  I've
> been too busy to work on this, though.

FWIW, Kim's original patch did have this feature.