* emacs bzr and git-bzr
@ 2010-01-05 13:44 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2010-01-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Is there a way to use one of the "git-bzr" scripts out there that's
safe and consistent with the way we want to use bzr for emacs
development?

> git-bzr: a bidirectional git - bazaar gateway
>
> This script allows you to add bazaar repositories as git branches in
> your
> git repository. After that, you can fetch the Bazaar repo, make some
> changes, and push it back into Bazaar.

The ones I've looked at seem to use "git fast-export | bzr fast-
import" when pushing things from git back into bzr.

It seems likely that git-bzr could be used to push back into a private
bzr development branch, and then "bzr merge" used to pull in changes
from there.  But then it looks like I've also got to explicitly manage
pulling changes down from upstream using both bzr and git commands;
and if I try to push something upstream and find upstream has changed,
might I have to manage the (possibly non-trivial) re-merging in bzr
instead of git where I'd be more comfortable and where I already have
a bunch of work in progress?

I'd be more interested in a setup where git-bzr can cause things to be
pushed back into the FSF bzr repository directly, errorring out when
the upstream has changed so that a new merge in needed, or ideally if
I attempt a "wrong-way" (left-vs-right-parent) merge, etc.  Kind of
like how git-svn manages all the subversion access internally, and
lets me fix things in git when necessary.  Is such a workflow possible
with git-bzr?

Ken