Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Arthur Miller >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org >> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:58:16 +0200 >> >> Ok, I take my words back, it is actually not lost. I was to fast didn't >> reallize --group-directories-first was just converted with rest to a >> list of chars. >> >> Doesn't it mean that ls-lisp could potentialy recieve flags that user >> didn't ment to use? > > Yes, you need to remove that option before the options get converted. Yes, and possibly even other long options that an ignorant, unawary user like myself can pass in dired-listing-switches. The original code just removes "--dired" flag. Everything else is converted into character list, so if I pass something like --time-style=long-iso, everything but dashes makes it into list with switches. Manual says which switches are supported by ls-lisp, but now how it behaves when passed flags it does not support: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/ls-in-Lisp.html Personally I expect it to just igonre those, now I have learned it does not. Bug or not, does not matter, I think it is more convenient to have one version of dired-listing-switches, then to keep two different, so I suggest to "sanitize switches" before they are processed. Check included ls-lisp-p2.patch and see if that is acceptable. >> Since --group-directories-first is still there, then let bind works fine >> :-). > > Great. I think this can be installed, as soon as you add the removal > of that option from the options' list. Yepp, included patch ls-lisp-p1.patch does it. A think to note is that -U will be ignored if --group-directories-first is passed (so does gls).