* NonGNU or Commercial Emacs (was: Gitlab Migration)
@ 2021-09-09 13:25 dick
From: dick @ 2021-09-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

A PR-based development repository resides at

https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs

It merges upstream commits and patches (as PRs) hourly.

* Re: NonGNU or Commercial Emacs
@ 2021-09-09 16:46 ` Kévin Le Gouguec
From: Kévin Le Gouguec @ 2021-09-09 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dick; +Cc: Emacs developers

dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs

README.md:

> ### Isn't this xemacs all over again?
>
> Ah, but if it could reach those heights.  If by some miracle it did,
> the choices for the FSF are the same as before: enlist RMS to embark
> on a coding frenzy that achieves feature parity, grant myself commit
> rights, or continue not noticing me.  If my history of user
> acquisition is any indication, the last outcome is most likely.

$ git log --author=dick --format=format:"%h %<|(32)%ar %aN <%ae>"
b7d3c1e577 4 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
c18bfbe6e4 5 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
93e1248c20 5 weeks ago           dick r. chiang <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>
1910800f93 5 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
253b36bd40 5 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
314474e2d5 6 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
d6a3b1cd2b 6 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
95e31a1a32 7 weeks ago           dickmao <none>
d87b67a9e2 3 months ago          dickmao <none>
2540701f30 3 months ago          dickmao <none>
234bf1b636 3 months ago          dickmao <none>
55d7effbe1 3 months ago          dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>
5be26b43f4 4 months ago          dickmao <none>
8cdbd84ebe 11 months ago         dickmao <none>
5df652d614 12 months ago         dickmao <none>
c8f809dbb9 12 months ago         dickmao <none>
321bba0c99 12 months ago         dickmao <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>
1b390c3cbf 1 year ago            dickmao <none>
045cfbef09 1 year, 10 months ago dickmao <none>
b9211d0bc2 1 year, 11 months ago dick r. chiang <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>

This doesn't strike me as "not noticing you".  FWIW, I still hope you'll
eventually find the patience to get the improvements you allude to in
your README applied to GNU Emacs (non-blocking Gnus especially).

* Re: NonGNU or Commercial Emacs
@ 2021-09-10  1:04 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-09-10  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dick; +Cc: Emacs developers

dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs

Disappointing.  Some impatient angry person has resorted to extorsion,
to try to extract compromises from Emacs.

I don't see what this will achieve, except for, at most, another split
akin to XEmacs?

* Re: NonGNU or Commercial Emacs
@ 2021-09-10  1:14   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-09-10  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: dick, Emacs developers

> On Sep 10, 2021, at 10:04, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs
>
> Disappointing.

Whatever the intent, that is exactly what free software is about.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: NonGNU or Commercial Emacs
@ 2021-09-12  1:47     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-09-12  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: luangruo, dick.r.chiang, emacs-devel

>> https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs

Are any of the changes in it things we would consider improvements?

If so, would someone who doesn't write C code for Emacs much
like to look at the changes and see if the code there would be good
to install?

From: Richard Stallman @ 2021-09-12  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: dick.r.chiang, emacs-devel

  > > https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs

  > Disappointing.  Some impatient angry person has resorted to extorsion,
  > to try to extract compromises from Emacs.

I looked at that page, and did not see anything that made any sort
of request of us.  Perhaps you are talking about text in some
other page, or perhaos you stated your interpretation of the same
text I saw.

Would you please show me the actual text which strikes you as "extorsion"
or "trying to extract compromises"?  If it is text in some other part of
that site, I'd like to see it and think about it.

* Re: NonGNU or Commercial Emacs
@ 2021-09-12  9:37     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-09-12  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: dick.r.chiang, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would you please show me the actual text which strikes you as "extorsion"
> or "trying to extract compromises"?  If it is text in some other part of
> that site, I'd like to see it and think about it.

From the README file on that page (which requires JavaScript to be
displayed, I think):

> Isn't this xemacs all over again?
> Ah, but if it could reach those heights. If by some miracle it did, the
> choices for the FSF are the same as before: enlist RMS to embark on a
> coding frenzy that achieves feature parity, grant myself commit rights,
> or continue not noticing me. If my history of user acquisition is any
> indication, the last outcome is most likely.

Perhaps I chose the word 'extorsion' poorly, but if so could anyone tell
me a better word for "demanding commit rights"?  I think my grasp of the
English language is not always as good as I think it is.

Thanks.

* Re: NonGNU or Commercial Emacs
@ 2021-09-12 11:08       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-09-12 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel, Richard Stallman, dick.r.chiang

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Would you please show me the actual text which strikes you as "extorsion"
>> or "trying to extract compromises"?  If it is text in some other part of
>> that site, I'd like to see it and think about it.
>
> From the README file on that page (which requires JavaScript to be
> displayed, I think):
>
>> Isn't this xemacs all over again?
>> Ah, but if it could reach those heights. If by some miracle it did, the
>> choices for the FSF are the same as before: enlist RMS to embark on a
>> coding frenzy that achieves feature parity, grant myself commit rights,
>> or continue not noticing me. If my history of user acquisition is any
>> indication, the last outcome is most likely.
>
> Perhaps I chose the word 'extorsion' poorly, but if so could anyone tell
> me a better word for "demanding commit rights"?  I think my grasp of the
> English language is not always as good as I think it is.

I am also non-native english speaker, but I do not understand him as demanding
commit rights. There is irony, sarcasm and humor there, but not really a demand
for commit rights :).