From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
To: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Universal/prefix argument for "other window" redirection?
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 19:42:53 +0200	[thread overview]

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 23:12, Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know myself what I really want. I find myself switching a lot
>> between two windows, which sometimes feels redundant. Maybe it is just
>> the shortcut, C-x o, or in my case C-v o. After playing with Gregory's
>> example, I am thinking of just binding the other-window to the `§` key.
>> Maybe that itself will be enough for somewhat "smoother" experience.
>
> Maybe what you want is a foot pedal that emits a ‘C-x o’ when pressed,
> and another ‘C-x o’ when released. Something like vim-pedal[1] but for
> Emacs.
Ha! I think we are onto something here. One of those el-piano pedals or
some old guitar effect pedal? A bluetooth wireless pedal? I mean a whole
board of those pedals, like guitar pedal boards. Imagine how many
modifiers we could have: ctrl, alt, hyper, super, duper ... maybe all on
just one pedal with tactile levels, and then add many pedals to it. I
think we have a product here :).

> [1]: https://github.com/foxweb/vim-pedal
>
> Or an eye-tracking camera that focuses whichever window you are looking at.

That is not a bad idea at all :). I am not sure how much eye-tracking
would this old laptop be able to process and what would happen when I
look elsewhere though. But maybe it is possible to make it smart enough?

> (Me, I’m content with binding my local equivalent[^2] of s-[esdf] to
> windmove-{up,left,down,right}-cycle.)

I have also bound those, in my case C-v [lrud] for left right up and
down, but I think is as awkward as C-v o. Maybe I'll try vim shortcuts
for a while, but I see on Reddit people are switching from evil anyway.

> [^2]: It’s actually M-s-[frst] due to using the Colemak layout and
> having two thumb modifier keys,

Is there two thumb modifier for my hands? Feels I would need some.