* Configure script tutorial/doc
@ 2015-10-14 23:01 Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2015-10-14 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

Hi,

The configure machinery is hairy, especially for someone who doesn't
know autoconf. I've made a short guide on it on the emacs wiki.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HackerGuide#toc8

Again, feel free to edit&expand the page.

* Re: Configure script tutorial/doc
@ 2015-10-15  0:38 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-15  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> The configure machinery is hairy, especially for someone who doesn't
> know autoconf. I've made a short guide on it on the emacs wiki.

Thank you for the documentation, Aurélien!

John

* Re: Configure script tutorial/doc
@ 2015-10-15  1:44 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2015-10-15  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

On Oct 14, 2015, at 7:01 PM, Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> wrote:

> The configure machinery is hairy, especially for someone who doesn't
> know autoconf. I've made a short guide on it on the emacs wiki.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HackerGuide#toc8

Thank you!
I wish I had had this a few years ago.

One thing that I find particularly hairy is the dumping mechanism.  Extending site-load.el is very tricky, and the limitations are difficult to understand.   lisp.mk is helpful and needs to be mentioned.  If there’s no good documentation already, it would be great if this Wiki page could discuss it.