On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Kenichi Handa wrote: > In article , Yair F writes: > >> Sorry for the late response. >> Apparently the Culmus fonts are type1: >> /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/DavidCLM-Medium.pfa: PostScript Type 1 font >> text (DavidCLM-Medium 0.101) > > How did you install that font?  I donwloaded > culmus-0.104.tar.gz from this page: This is from culmus package on ubuntu (and debian as well as most distributions as well). I would assume most Hebrew speakers on X based paltform will have these two packages installed. Most Hebrew based remixes package it. >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/culmus/files/culmus/0.104/ > and extracted DavidCLM-Medium.ttf from that tarball, and put > it under ~/.fonts. > > Please try that (and uninstall the above type1 font), and > check if Emacs can use TrueType version of that font > correctly. I Tried with Keter-YG which is IMO the best Hebrew font, and Indeed the rendring looks OK with my sample (See attached). This font comes from culmus-ancient. The "problem" with that fornt that it is indeed have an ancient look. > >> But MS fonts are ttf, and they doesn't compose either. >> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf: TrueType font data > > I tried that font too.  That font doesn't have OpenType > tables for hebrew script. > > % fc-list arial family capability > Arial > Arial:capability=otlayout\:arab > > But, the function hebrew-shape-gstring has workaround code > for such fonts, and in my environment, hebrew diacriticals > are surely composed (although the positioning is not > optimal). I would say that the positioning is not sufficient See attached of same file.