* keyboard politics [Was: Key bindings proposal]
@ 2010-08-14 17:20   ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-08-14 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 8/14/2010 4:19 PM, Xah Lee wrote:

> Microsoft is also a keyboard manufacture, starting in mid or early 1990s.

If they put their logo on keyboards that they make, that would be
understandable.  We would have a choice whether to buy those keyboards or not.

> Apple always has a Apple logo on their keyboards on the Cmd key, only about 3
> years ago it's officially removed. Those who make 3rd party Apple keyboard are
> subject to licensing fee too, am sure, and probably also a royalty.

So, you are saying that Microsoft is just copying Apple.  What is the big deal?

Apple is a complete system manufacturer.  They can design their systems
whichever way they please.  And, people have a choice whether to buy those
systems or not.

Microsoft never made any complete systems.  They started out as sellers of
compilers and made their name as the *suppliers* of DOS to IBM.  When IBM's
monopoly ended and the PC became an open architecture, they became suppliers to
us.  So, they do not have ownership of the PC or the keyboard that goes with
it.  Their assertion of ownership to a pair of modifier keys, whose idea has
been long in existence before their birth even, is illegitimate.

> thinking about this... i think FSF might make a keyboard where the Win/Cmd key
> is a GNU logo. Actually i think that's a good idea because the Win logo key on
> keyboard is a commonly heard complaint from GNU/linux programers. Actually i
> think this is quite a doable market... Several kbd makers started to have a
> cult following due to the fact they sell kbds without the win logo, e.g. Daz,
> Happy Hacking, and are frequently buzzed about in programing forums and in
> gadget review sites.

Sounds quite sensible.  But it would be even more sensible to break the
Microsoft-branded key in its function, not just in its appearance.

Cheers,
Uday

* keyboard politics [Was: Key bindings proposal]
       [not found] <0MA8Ib-1OdzCU08CX-00BIlN@mx.perfora.net>
@ 2010-08-14 21:22 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2010-08-14 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

  Uday Reddy wrote:
 > Microsoft never made any complete systems.  They started out as
sellers of
 > compilers and made their name as the *suppliers* of DOS to IBM.  When
IBM's
 > monopoly ended and the PC became an open architecture, they became
suppliers to
 > us.  So, they do not have ownership of the PC or the keyboard that
goes with
 > it.  Their assertion of ownership to a pair of modifier keys, whose
idea has
 > been long in existence before their birth even, is illegitimate.

the way i'm guessing how the Win logo became common in PC keyboard is this:

Microsoft invented the key and logo (probably influenced by Apple), and
place it on the keyboard they manufacture, as well integrated in their
OS for use of that key. Perhaps in a year or two, other keyboard
manufactures, in competition with Microsoft's hardware department, also
wanted to have that key, because MS's OS is very popular.

i'm not sure if there's anything explicitly sinister about how it came
to became so popular.

keyboard manufactures do not have to make keyboard with that key or
logo. Daz, Happy Hacker keyboards, Optimus, Kinesis, sell versions of
keyboard that don't have the win logo. ( photo & link:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboards_hacker_idiocy.html )

though it'd be nice if someone knows about this history and tell us.

  Xah

* Re: keyboard politics [Was: Key bindings proposal]
@ 2010-08-16  8:14   ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-08-16  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 8/14/2010 10:22 PM, Xah Lee wrote:

> the way i'm guessing how the Win logo became common in PC keyboard is this:
>
> Microsoft invented the key and logo (probably influenced by Apple), and place
> it on the keyboard they manufacture, as well integrated in their OS for use of
> that key. Perhaps in a year or two, other keyboard manufactures, in competition
> with Microsoft's hardware department, also wanted to have that key, because
> MS's OS is very popular.

Well, at the time (Microsoft natural keyboard in 1994 and the first successful
Windows build in 1995), Microsoft's OS wasn't exactly "popular".  Many
corporations were using Mac's, and Microsoft had to wean them back to the PC.

Yes, it is plausible that Microsoft introduced the windows key in its own
keyboard and probably copied Apple in doing so.  (This is by no means the
biggest thing they copied from Apple in the 90's!).

However, the windows key in its original form was just a start button.  Notice
this in your own picture.

   http://xahlee.org/emacs/ms_keyboard/ms_natural_keyboard.html

I found the O'Reilly "Windows 95 in a Nutshell" guide on my bookshelf (still!)
and verified that invoking the start menu was all that the windows key did
originally.  I remember going, "why do they have such a silly key in such a
strategic location?"

So, you can understand my disrespect for the Microsoft windows key.  Not only
was it copied from Apple (as we are guessing), but also rather stupidly copied.
  Now, it is possible that the Microsoft's keyboard division (which was quite
good) and the Windows division (which was trying hard to catch up) were out of
sync and the stupidity wasn't intentional.  It is also possible that Microsoft
just found an opportunity to push its brand and used it.

> i'm not sure if there's anything explicitly sinister about how it came to
> became so popular.

If you have read any of the documents in the Microsoft antitrust case, you will
definitely change your mind about the "sinister" bit.  Microsoft bullied a
whole industry into submission.  Yes, a keyboard manufacturer doesn't have to
put the windows key or logo, but if they posed a threat to Microsoft dominance,
Microsoft knew how to bring them in line.

------

Coming back to the point of discussion, since Microsoft never designed complete
systems like Apple did, their OS and keyboard are loosely coupled.  One doesn't
have to use the windows key to use Windows, or to use it effectively.  Since
the OS cannot depend on the presence of the windows key, it can't put essential
functions on it, only conveniences.  There is no reason why the users can't use
it for different purposes if they want to.  And, there is no reason why Emacs
shouldn't take full control of it to serve its users' needs.

Cheers,
Uday

* Re: keyboard politics [Was: Key bindings proposal]
@ 2010-08-16 15:22     ` Bernardo Barros
From: Bernardo Barros @ 2010-08-16 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uday S Reddy; +Cc: emacs-devel

I would buy a simple GNU key to replace the Windows key in my
thinkpad... (if I can replace a simple key from the keyboard, I don't
know if it is possible)

@ 2010-08-16 15:23       ` Bernardo Barros
From: Bernardo Barros @ 2010-08-16 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uday S Reddy; +Cc: emacs-devel

BTW that's the only proprietary-related piece in my system, but it's
hardware not software at least