* Non hex digit used for Unicode escape
@ 2010-11-11 22:00 Fren Zeee
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-11-11 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs

I am not sure if my first message got to the mailing list and I am trying
again. Apology in advance for duplication.

Subject: Non hex digit used for Unicode escape

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
`/home/frenzee/.emacs':
error: Non-hex digit used for Unicode escape
To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

I just upgraded my emacs to the latest version on unix and this is the
error.

I ran the --debug-init and went to each file point position and the main
thing appears to be some double \\

How to automatically fix all my .emacs files and their entries ? I think
there are some commands like

The following post discusses the problem but gives no example of a good
solution on what is the replacement :

Hi!

> It's the line (setq default-directory "C:\Users\Charles") thats
> causing the problem. (cd "C:\Users\Charles") raised the same error
> too.

You have to escape backslashes in strings like this:

  (cd "C:\\Users\\Charles")

See (info "(emacs) Init Syntax") for some more hints.

Regards,

Anselm
--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2...@googlemail.com<anselm.helbig+news2...@googlemail.com>

* Re: Non hex digit used for Unicode escape
@ 2010-11-12  1:06 ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2010-11-12  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fren Zeee; +Cc: Emacs

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Fren Zeee <frenzeee@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following post discusses the problem but gives no example of a good
> solution on what is the replacement :
>
> Hi!
>
>> It's the line (setq default-directory "C:\Users\Charles") thats
>> causing the problem. (cd "C:\Users\Charles") raised the same error
>> too.
>
> You have to escape backslashes in strings like this:
>
>   (cd "C:\\Users\\Charles")
>
> See (info "(emacs) Init Syntax") for some more hints.

What about that post makes it not "a good solution"?