* What is the difference between the src/oo/ and src/oo-spd/  directories?
@ 2010-05-23 16:13 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-23 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Why is emacs.exe sometimes placed in the first and sometimes in the second?
What is the reason for having both?

* Re: What is the difference between the src/oo/ and src/oo-spd/ directories?
@ 2010-05-23 17:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-23 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 18:13:22 +0200
>
> Why is emacs.exe sometimes placed in the first and sometimes in the second?

It depends on whether you configure with or without --no-opt.

> What is the reason for having both?

To allow you to have both optimized and unoptimized builds of the same
sources.

* Re: What is the difference between the src/oo/ and src/oo-spd/  directories?
@ 2010-05-23 17:28   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 18:13:22 +0200
>>
>> Why is emacs.exe sometimes placed in the first and sometimes in the second?
>
> It depends on whether you configure with or without --no-opt.
>
>> What is the reason for having both?
>
> To allow you to have both optimized and unoptimized builds of the same
> sources.

Thanks, but how do you use that? Don't you to rebuild all the C
sources to use it? And don't you do "make install" after that?

* Re: What is the difference between the src/oo/ and src/oo-spd/ directories?
@ 2010-05-23 18:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-23 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 19:28:13 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 18:13:22 +0200
> >>
> >> Why is emacs.exe sometimes placed in the first and sometimes in the second?
> >
> > It depends on whether you configure with or without --no-opt.
> >
> >> What is the reason for having both?
> >
> > To allow you to have both optimized and unoptimized builds of the same
> > sources.
>
> Thanks, but how do you use that? Don't you to rebuild all the C
> sources to use it?

Yes, but so what?  It only takes a couple of minutes.

> And don't you do "make install" after that?

You don't have to if you don't want.  You can run the executable from
its src/oo/i386 directory.

* Re: What is the difference between the src/oo/ and src/oo-spd/  directories?
@ 2010-05-23 19:20       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 19:28:13 +0200
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> > It depends on whether you configure with or without --no-opt.

>> > To allow you to have both optimized and unoptimized builds of the same
>> > sources.
>>
>> Thanks, but how do you use that? Don't you to rebuild all the C
>> sources to use it?
>
> Yes, but so what?  It only takes a couple of minutes.
>
>> And don't you do "make install" after that?
>
> You don't have to if you don't want.  You can run the executable from
> its src/oo/i386 directory.

Thanks, I see. Yes, it seems useful.

* Re: What is the difference between the src/oo/ and src/oo-spd/ directories?
@ 2010-05-24 15:58         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-05-24 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

    >> > It depends on whether you configure with or without --no-opt.

    >> > To allow you to have both optimized and unoptimized builds of the same
    >> > sources.
    >>
    >> Thanks, but how do you use that? Don't you to rebuild all the C
    >> sources to use it?
    >
    > Yes, but so what?  It only takes a couple of minutes.
    >
    >> And don't you do "make install" after that?
    >
    > You don't have to if you don't want.  You can run the executable from
    > its src/oo/i386 directory.

    Thanks, I see. Yes, it seems useful.

Right, thanks, Eli.