* Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 13:51 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-05-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls" ./configure
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x --without-kerberos
--prefix=$HOME/usr

Now (scroll-bar-mode 0) returns nil and the scroll bars are still
there. Ugly ones at that! Attached is a screenshot.

What did I do wrong?

--
Deniz Dogan

[-- Attachment #2: weird.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 18253 bytes --]

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 15:41 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-05-23 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Deniz Dogan skrev 2010-05-23 15.51:
> CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls" ./configure
> --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x --without-kerberos
> --prefix=$HOME/usr
>
> Now (scroll-bar-mode 0) returns nil and the scroll bars are still
> there. Ugly ones at that! Attached is a screenshot.
>
> What did I do wrong?

"With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."

So try -1.

If you tell configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars those are the scrollbars
you get, this hasn't changed in ages.  What did you expect?

	Jan D.

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 16:18   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-05-23 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

2010/5/23 Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:

> Deniz Dogan skrev 2010-05-23 15.51:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls" ./configure
>> --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x --without-kerberos
>> --prefix=$HOME/usr
>>
>> Now (scroll-bar-mode 0) returns nil and the scroll bars are still
>> there. Ugly ones at that! Attached is a screenshot.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>>

> "With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
> turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."
>
> So try -1.

-1 did not do the trick either. (And 0 is not a positive number.)

> If you tell configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars those are the scrollbars
> you get, this hasn't changed in ages.  What did you expect?

What I expect to happen when I turn off scroll-bar-mode I expect no
scroll bars at all. I don't see how --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
would imply that I get scroll bars no matter what.

It seems that toggle-scroll-bar manages to turn off the scroll bars
for the current frame.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 16:43     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Jan Djärv, Emacs-Devel devel

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> "With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
>> turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."
>>

> (And 0 is not a positive number.)

So there is a documentation error in define-minor-mode.

* RE: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 16:53       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lennart Borgman', 'Deniz Dogan'
  Cc: 'Jan Djärv', 'Emacs-Devel devel'

> >> "With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
> >> turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."
> >
> > (And 0 is not a positive number.)
>
> So there is a documentation error in define-minor-mode.

Is there?  Please be specific. Which part of the doc is erroneous, and how?

I just looked at the doc for `define-minor-mode', both the Elisp manual and the
doc string.  I do not see where it suggests that 0 is a positive number - or
anything like that.  Rather than expecting people to spend time searching for
what you might mean, please point specifically to the problem text.  Thx.

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 16:55       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-05-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Jan Djärv, Emacs-Devel devel

2010/5/23 Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
>>> turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."
>>>

>> (And 0 is not a positive number.)
>
> So there is a documentation error in define-minor-mode.

I don't think there is. I use 0 as the argument for
transient-mark-mode, scroll-bar-mode, menu-bar-mode, tool-bar-mode,
fringe-mode, blink-cursor-mode and global-visual-line-mode. All of
these work fine with the argument 0 (except for scroll-bar-mode with
these configure flags).

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 16:59         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-23 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Jan Djärv, Emacs-Devel devel, Deniz Dogan

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> > (And 0 is not a positive number.)
>>
>> So there is a documentation error in define-minor-mode.
>
> Is there?  Please be specific. Which part of the doc is erroneous, and how?
>
> I just looked at the doc for `define-minor-mode', both the Elisp manual and the
> doc string.  I do not see where it suggests that 0 is a positive number - or
> anything like that.  Rather than expecting people to spend time searching for
> what you might mean, please point specifically to the problem text.  Thx.

Ah, you are right. define-minor-mode does not add this part of the doc
string (yet).

I suggested that it should but we have not made that change yet.

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 17:40     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-05-23 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Deniz Dogan skrev 2010-05-23 18.18:
> 2010/5/23 Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:
>>

>> Deniz Dogan skrev 2010-05-23 15.51:
>>>
>>> CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls" ./configure
>>> --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x --without-kerberos
>>> --prefix=$HOME/usr
>>>
>>> Now (scroll-bar-mode 0) returns nil and the scroll bars are still
>>> there. Ugly ones at that! Attached is a screenshot.
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong?
>>>

>> "With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
>> turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."
>>
>> So try -1.
>>

> -1 did not do the trick either. (And 0 is not a positive number.)

Then there is a bug somewhere.  Can you file a bug report?

>> If you tell configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars those are the scrollbars
>> you get, this hasn't changed in ages.  What did you expect?
>>

> What I expect to happen when I turn off scroll-bar-mode I expect no
> scroll bars at all. I don't see how --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
> would imply that I get scroll bars no matter what.

I was commenting the "Ugly ones at that".  It implied you somehow expected
pretty ones.

	Jan D.

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-23 17:41       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-05-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

2010/5/23 Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:

> Deniz Dogan skrev 2010-05-23 18.18:

>>> "With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive
>>> turn on scroll bars; otherwise turn off scroll bars."
>>>
>>> So try -1.
>>>

>> -1 did not do the trick either. (And 0 is not a positive number.)
>
> Then there is a bug somewhere.  Can you file a bug report?

I'll file a bug once I make sure there is one. A private e-mail I
received just now suggests that I may have to re-bootstrap.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Why can't I turn off scroll bars?
@ 2010-05-24  0:36         ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-05-24  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

2010/5/23 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
> 2010/5/23 Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:

>>> -1 did not do the trick either. (And 0 is not a positive number.)
>>
>> Then there is a bug somewhere.  Can you file a bug report?
>>

> I'll file a bug once I make sure there is one. A private e-mail I
> received just now suggests that I may have to re-bootstrap.

>>> What I expect to happen when I turn off scroll-bar-mode I expect no
>>> scroll bars at all. I don't see how --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
>>> would imply that I get scroll bars no matter what.
>>>

>> I was commenting the "Ugly ones at that".  It implied you somehow expected
>> pretty ones.
>>
>>        Jan D.
>>

> --
> Deniz Dogan

It seems a distclean and a bootstrap fixed the issue. Sorry about the fuss.

--
Deniz Dogan