* Compiling 23.2 on OSX configure error
@ 2010-07-05 18:20 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-05 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello list,

I am trying to compile Emacs 23.2 on my Snow Leopard machine, and I am
getting the following error on the configure step:

checking for library containing tputs... no
configure: error: I couldn't find termcap functions (tputs and friends).
Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?  Try installing
libncurses-dev(el), libterminfo-dev(el) or similar.

I have installed ncurses through port but it does not solve it. Also, could
not find the libterminfo-dev on port. Should I download them from somewhere
else?

The strange thing is that for 23.1, I could configure/make/make install
without any issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Compiling 23.2 on OSX configure error
@ 2010-07-05 19:24 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-07-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-devel

I have libncurses in /usr/lib and /usr/include, don't you?  Did you install XCode?

	Jan D.

@ 2010-07-05 20:13   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-05 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yeah, I have XCode 3.2.2. Also, I do have ncurses installed, check it out:

/usr/lib$ ls *cur*
libcurl.2.dylib        libcurl.4.dylib        libcurses.dylib
libncurses.5.dylib
libcurl.3.dylib        libcurl.dylib        libncurses.5.4.dylib
libncurses.dylib

Am I missing any other lib ? What about libterminfo ?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2010-07-06  6:42     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-07-06  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-devel

Send the config.log file.  Also do
% ls -l /usr/include/*curses.h

It should show two files.

	Jan D.

@ 2010-09-24 19:18       ` davidfsnyder
From: davidfsnyder @ 2010-09-24 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

I'm having this same issue. What was the solution?

@ 2010-09-24 20:43         ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2010-09-24 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ds08; +Cc: Emacs-devel

+ davidfsnyder <ds08@txstate.edu>:

> I'm having this same issue. What was the solution?

It appears the OP never came back with the requested info.
Thus we don't know if he solved it himself, or if he gave up, or what.

So maybe you can provide some more detailed info instead?

- Harald

* Re: Compiling 23.2 on OSX configure error
@ 2010-09-25 23:39           ` davidfsnyder
From: davidfsnyder @ 2010-09-25 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + davidfsnyder <ds08@txstate.edu>:
>
>> I'm having this same issue. What was the solution?
>
> It appears the OP never came back with the requested info.
> Thus we don't know if he solved it himself, or if he gave up, or what.
>
> So maybe you can provide some more detailed info instead?
>
> - Harald

What I found out so far, which got me further into the compile, is that I
had to clean, remove, and reinstall my zlib and glib installs, but using the
universal binary format.  If I make further progress, I'll post it here.

* Re: Compiling 23.2 on OSX configure error
@ 2010-12-16 18:58 ` Tom Seddon
From: Tom Seddon @ 2010-12-16 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list,I am trying to compile Emacs 23.2 on my Snow Leopard
> machine, and I am getting the following error on the configure step:checking
>  for library containing tputs... noconfigure: error: I couldn't find
>  termcap functions (tputs and friends).

I had this with the latest version
from bazaar. It seems the problem
was that I had a 32-bit-only
libncurses.a installed by fink. I
imagine fink could sort this out for
me, but I don't use it any more, so I
just deleted my /sw folder instead :)

The configure script checks for
/sw/lib specifically -- so if you
have ever used fink, any libraries
it installed will get found and used.
Presumably this behaviour is there
for a reason? -- so it would be good
if the configure error message could
mention this explicitly. I'm sure I won't
be the only person with an out-of-dat
 fink folder that they'd kind of forgotten
about.

(A work around would of course be to
build a 32-bit emacs. This seemed to
be working, but after a couple of minutes
through a `make bootstrap' that was
going fine, I decided to try to solve the issue
properly instead.)

Thanks,

--Tom