From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
To: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Names are not descriptions; descriptions are not names
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 21:47:18 -0700	[thread overview]

On 5/11/2023 9:01 PM, Adam Porter wrote:
> And by burdening the name with a responsibility it cannot bear, the
> name suffers, the package suffers, and ultimately, the user suffers.
> The "descriptive" name is not memorable; the user likely forgets what
> it's called a few weeks after installing and configuring it...

I strongly agree. While some projects have bad names (as an illustrative
example, CHEATING: "obsCure and awkHward usE of lettArs Trying to spell
somethING"[1]), a name's primary purpose is to be a memorable way of
referring back to something you already know about. That means it should
be easy to see how the name relates in some way to its purpose, but it
doesn't need to be immediately apparent what it does just by looking at
the name.

Probably my favorite project name in existence is "pacman", Arch's
package manager. If I didn't know about it and you asked me to guess
what it did, I'm sure I'd say, "It lets you play Pac-man," but once I
know it's a package manager, the name makes perfect sense and I can
easily remember it.

When I'm looking for a package on ELPA (or built into Emacs) to do XYZ,
I don't generally consult the name at all, and instead read/search the
description or the manual. About the only time I look at the name is if
I'm searching for a major mode of a programming language, which is
almost always "lang-mode".

That's not to say there are no issues whatsoever with naming: if a name
is really obscure or particularly rude, those are good times to suggest
a rename. For "devil" in particular, I think it's a pretty reasonable
choice, since just by looking at the name I guessed that it was
something in the same overall genre as evil. Maybe there's a better name
out there, but I think it's still better than any suggested alternative.

However, I think there's potentially an even bigger issue: package
discoverability as a whole. I imagine we all hope that Emacs will
continue to get many new users, and they likely won't be able to guess
anything about a name like "devil". We should do our best to make sure
packages like that are easy to discover if you use some common search terms.

This might also include making it easier for novices to learn *how* to
perform good searches. I'm not sure exactly what this would entail (it's
hard to unlearn what you already know), but I am sure that it would be
valuable. Emacs gives you an awful lot of tools to be able to learn on
your own and dig deeper into customizing/extending it, but it can be
hard to get started: it took me more than a decade to move past the
stage of "copy-pasting Elisp code from other people's configs".

- Jim Porter (no relation)

[1] https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7092