On Wed, 2022-11-16 at 23:32 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    > ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     > ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. > ]]] > > I can't find previous discussion of this, but if the idea is to make > Emacs crash if you try to set a "constant" symbol, I think it is a > bad > idea.  The chance of breaking something is very high, and there is > little to gain. > Hi Richard, Perhaps "constant" is a misnomer here. If you are refering to defconst- defined variables, that is not what the patch is about. I'm refering to self-evaluating forms/objects referenced by elisp code, i.e. the ones that the constant vector in a bytecode object contains. The elisp reference manual states that mutating self-evaluating forms results in undefined behaviour, so marking them as const should be safe IMO. Best, Vibhav -- Vibhav Pant vibhavp@gmail.com GPG: 7ED1 D48C 513C A024 BE3A 785F E3FB 28CB 6AB5 9598