* selection-coding-system description in 21_1_RC etc/NEWS
@ 2003-01-24 17:54 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-01-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

This entry from EMACS_21_1_RC's etc/NEWS is inaccurate:

  ** The default value of selection-coding-system is now
  compound-text-with-extensions.

  If you want the old behavior, set selection-coding-system to
  compound-text, which may be significantly more efficient.  Using
  compound-text-with-extensions seems to be necessary only for decoding
  text from applications under XFree86 4.2, whose behaviour is actually
  contrary to the compound text specification.

In fact, the default value of `selection-coding-system' is
system-dependent. On Windows systems, for example, it is iso-latin-1-dos,
while it is compound-text-mac on Macs, I think.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: selection-coding-system description in 21_1_RC etc/NEWS
@ 2003-01-26 15:38 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    This entry from EMACS_21_1_RC's etc/NEWS is inaccurate:

      ** The default value of selection-coding-system is now
      compound-text-with-extensions.

      If you want the old behavior, set selection-coding-system to
      compound-text, which may be significantly more efficient.  Using
      compound-text-with-extensions seems to be necessary only for decoding
      text from applications under XFree86 4.2, whose behaviour is actually
      contrary to the compound text specification.

    In fact, the default value of `selection-coding-system' is
    system-dependent. On Windows systems, for example, it is iso-latin-1-dos,
    while it is compound-text-mac on Macs, I think.

Handa and Eli, can you rewrite this to be correct?

* Re: selection-coding-system description in 21_1_RC etc/NEWS
@ 2003-01-26 16:03   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:38:06 -0500
>
>     In fact, the default value of `selection-coding-system' is
>     system-dependent. On Windows systems, for example, it is iso-latin-1-dos,
>     while it is compound-text-mac on Macs, I think.
>
> Handa and Eli, can you rewrite this to be correct?

It was my fault, so I fixed that.