That's a pretty disappointing remark, which implies that the Emacs team doesn't really care about having a good collaboration with the authors and maintainers of 3rd party Emacs packages. I know that for whatever reason we're now discussing clojure-mode, but there are many other major modes for which one can make exactly the same case (erlang-mode, elixir-mode, haskell-mode, etc). Let's just rush forward and include some stripped down/forked versions of them upstream as well, ignoring the people behind them and their end users (who are bound to face some degree of confusion short term). Adopting such a combative stance across the board would be very harmful for our small community IMO. On Fri, Sep 1, 2023, at 3:29 PM, Lynn Winebarger wrote: > On Fri, Sep 1, 2023, 9:13 AM Danny Freeman wrote: >> >> Eli Zaretskii writes: >> >> >> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:14:21 +0300 >> >> Cc: rms@gnu.org, joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> >> From: Dmitry Gutov >> >> >> >> But we don't always agree between ourselves. Not on this subject anyway. >> > >> > Those disagreements are not relevant when the issue is the inclusion >> > of a package in core. >> >> I'd like to think I have the best interests of Emacs at heart, both as >> someone who has contributed a handful bug fixes to the core, as a >> clojure developer in my day job, and as the maintainer of >> clojure-ts-mode. >> >> With that in mind, I won't stand in the way of a new clojure editing >> mode for Emacs, in fact I suggested enabling lisp mode for clojure files >> somewhere else in this thread. However, I will advocate for not >> hijacking the name clojure-mode that has been in active use for 15 >> years. > > I don't think using the term "hijacking" is productive. The GNU emacs developers could well say that using a standard functional name like "clojure-mode" with no intent to contribute it to the core was the "hijacking", or perhaps namespace-squatting. It would be different for "cider" or another non-standard, nonfunctional name. It should have been obvious at the time clojure-mode was originally authored that the name would have been adopted for a builtin mode if there were going to be one. > > Lynn > > > >