From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
To: John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Emphasizing the top of the frame
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:11:25 +0200	[thread overview]

BTW, your minibuffer
frames grows downw
 > My point is to demonstrate that a mini-buffer that,
 > when it grows, does not alter the window layout, but
 > instead occludes a part of the frame, is an entirely
 > liveable user experience.  I might even argue a less
 > jarring experience as less of the screen changes.

I'm using a minibuffer child frame based on that principle for several
years now and it rarely has let me down so far.

 > In its current state, the package is clearly a proof
 > of concept with a number of rough edges:
 >
 > * Management of the z-axis is not great; frame
 >    restacking triggers an error on my Ubuntu box

Which error?

 > * Resizing the main frame works well enough
 > * Moving the main frame does not work at all
 >    (it appears that the move-frame-functions, at
 >    least in recent 29.0.50 builds, never get called)

Here I get the expected messages when I evaluate

(add-hook
  'move-frame-functions
  (lambda (frame)
    (message "Frame %s moved to %s" frame (frame-position frame))))

If you don't see them, please tell us which toolkit and window manager
you use.

 > * Occasionally the echo area enters a rapidly
 >    flashing state; sufficient ^g tend to clear it

I have never seen such behavior here.  If you do not directly interact
with the minibuffer in such a situation, it might depend on some minor
mode like eldoc-mode enabled (I don't show eldoc in the echo area).

 > That said, even in this state, mbmb represents a
 > very big improvement in my life on a big screen.
 > It is now my standard configuration.

You waste cycles updating the menubar, though.  Have you ever tried
putting the minibuffer frame on top of the title bar?

 > I hope that the existence of mbmb prompts owners
 > of minibuffer-resizing packages to support growth
 > downward in addition to today's growth upward.
 > (Could we standardize a frame parameter to record
 > this direction?)

Do you mean we should resize the frame whenever the minibuffer window
changes size?  That sounds hardly feasible.

martin