* Emacs W32 HEAD: Pausing on disk access
@ 2011-10-31  4:14 Les Harris
From: Les Harris @ 2011-10-31  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've been tracking head and building a windows build using a
Gnuwin32/Mingw toolchain.  Sometimes, on what appears to be disk access
(visiting/saving a file, eldoc lookups, etc,) Emacs will freeze for
roughly 1-3 seconds.

Its a little sporadic (in the sense it doesn't necessarily happen on
every diskaccess) but quite consistant and frequent.

What can I do to assist in tracking down what's causing this?  Or
perhaps I am the only person seeing this and it is a local system issue?

I certainly don't see this behavior in a GNU/Linux environment.

Thank you!

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,

* Re: Emacs W32 HEAD: Pausing on disk access
@ 2011-10-31  7:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-10-31  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Les Harris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Les Harris <les@lesharris.com>
> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:14:31 -0700
>
> I've been tracking head and building a windows build using a
> Gnuwin32/Mingw toolchain.  Sometimes, on what appears to be disk access
> (visiting/saving a file, eldoc lookups, etc,) Emacs will freeze for
> roughly 1-3 seconds.
>
> Its a little sporadic (in the sense it doesn't necessarily happen on
> every diskaccess) but quite consistant and frequent.
>
> What can I do to assist in tracking down what's causing this?  Or
> perhaps I am the only person seeing this and it is a local system issue?

Suggest to start by filing a bug report.  In that report, tell as much
as you can about your system (assuming this happens on a single
system): hardware, OS version, network connections, anything unusual
about the disk(s) in question, etc.

* Re: Emacs W32 HEAD: Pausing on disk access
@ 2011-10-31 20:28 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-10-31 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2011-10-31 05:14, Les Harris wrote:
> I've been tracking head and building a windows build using a
> Gnuwin32/Mingw toolchain.  Sometimes, on what appears to be disk access
> (visiting/saving a file, eldoc lookups, etc,) Emacs will freeze for
> roughly 1-3 seconds.
>
> Its a little sporadic (in the sense it doesn't necessarily happen on
> every diskaccess) but quite consistant and frequent.
>
> What can I do to assist in tracking down what's causing this?  Or
> perhaps I am the only person seeing this and it is a local system issue?
>
> I certainly don't see this behavior in a GNU/Linux environment.
>
> Thank you!

When I experience what you describe it's because the disk being
written/read to/from is "cold" and is starting up again.  When this
happens on Windows 7, it gives off a sound similar to "blooOOoOoop!!"