From: bogossian@mail.com
To: lekktu@gmail.com
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:40:03 -0400	[thread overview]

>Assuming you use continuation lines, and not truncation, does the
>speed improve setting `cache-long-line-scans' to t? (Note that the
>variable is automatically buffer-local, so be sure to set it in the
>appropriate buffer, or use setq-default.)

Setting this variable doesn't make a noticeable difference.
For instance, scrolling through a 200k csv file made of 200 lines of
1000
characters each, feels just as choppy whether the cache is enabled or
not.

>Yes, I think so. You can see the backend used for a font by moving the
>cursor over a character in that font and doing "C-u C-x =". The font
>information will start with gdi: or uniscribe:

As expected the gdi backend is used:

        character: D (68, #o104, #x44)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x44
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
      buffer code: #x44
        file code: #x44 (encoded by coding system undecided-dos)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
     gdi:-raster-6X13-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
(#x44)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER D
  general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)

BTW, 6x13 is not the only font for which I noticed these extremely bad
performances. The bitmap version of the courier font (which I think is
installed by default with Windows XP) exhibits the same slowdown.
So it should be easy for you to reproduce the problem using this font.

        character: D (68, #o104, #x44)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
       code point: 0x44
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
      buffer code: #x44
        file code: #x44 (encoded by coding system undecided-dos)
          display: by this font (glyph code)

gdi:-raster-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1