* Error accessing Emacs GIT repo from windows (XP)
@ 2007-08-20 11:54 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-08-20 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Devel, Savannah Hackers

Hi,
 I am trying to use Git from Windows. Trying to access Emacs repo
fails. The failure messages are below. I was able to checkout the
windows Git source using the git executable I have. I would therefore
tend to rule out problems with the git tool on my box.

dky@DKY32B02 ~/stub/repo/git
$ git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git emacs
warning: templates not found e:/tmp/msysgit/share/git-core/templates
Initialized empty Git repository in e:/users/dky/stub/repo/git/emacs/.git/
Cannot get remote repository information.
Perhaps git-update-server-info needs to be run there?

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Error accessing Emacs GIT repo from windows (XP)
@ 2007-08-20 12:04 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-08-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Savannah Hackers, Emacs Devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

> $ git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git emacs
> warning: templates not found e:/tmp/msysgit/share/git-core/templates

Try using the git protocol (git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git).

Andreas.

* Re: Error accessing Emacs GIT repo from windows (XP)
@ 2007-08-20 12:06   ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-08-20 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Devel; +Cc: Savannah Hackers

Hi,
 I am behind a firewall, hence have to use http.

When I try on a different repository, it works!
$git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs-off.git

which is the main GIT repo for emacs?
1. http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git
2. http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs-off.git

The first does not work for me.

-dky

--

@ 2007-08-20 18:10     ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2007-08-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

dhruva> which is the main GIT repo for emacs?
dhruva> 1. http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git
dhruva> 2. http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs-off.git

Neither.  It's git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
Don't use http protocol if you have a git protocol alternative.

* Re: Error accessing Emacs GIT repo from windows (XP)
@ 2007-08-20 19:02       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2007-08-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Randal> Neither.  It's git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
Randal> Don't use http protocol if you have a git protocol alternative.

I apologize for this message.  I totally missed the part about
needing http.

* Re: Error accessing Emacs GIT repo from windows (XP)
@ 2007-08-20 19:28     ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2007-08-20 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Savannah Hackers, Emacs Devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I am behind a firewall, hence have to use http.
>
> When I try on a different repository, it works!
> $git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs-off.git
>
> which is the main GIT repo for emacs?
> 1. http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git
> 2. http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs-off.git
>
> The first does not work for me.

Thanks for the report.
Now, this works:

  git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git

FYI, I fixed it by making the hooks/post-update script executable.
That ensures that git-update-server-info is run after each push.
Also, I removed emacs-off.git.

* Re: Error accessing Emacs GIT repo from windows (XP)
@ 2007-08-21  4:42       ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-08-21  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Savannah Hackers, Emacs Devel

Hi,

On 8/21/07, Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the report.
> Now, this works:
>
>   git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/emacs.git
>
> FYI, I fixed it by making the hooks/post-update script executable.
> That ensures that git-update-server-info is run after each push.
> Also, I removed emacs-off.git.

Thank you for the quick response. I confirm that the cloning is underway.

-dky