* doc-view-current-slice only used internally
@ 2008-01-04 16:22 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-01-04 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In emacs/lisp/doc-view.el, the documentation for
doc-view-current-slice says it is only used internally and locally.

However, I want to set the list globally in my .emacs file so I can
have a second frame in my X window environment without changing or
moving my first frame.  How do I do that appropriately?  (I.e., think
of a novice writing in his or her .emacs file.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org

* Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
@ 2008-01-04 19:22 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

Hi Robert,

> In emacs/lisp/doc-view.el, the documentation for
> doc-view-current-slice says it is only used internally and locally.
>
> However, I want to set the list globally in my .emacs file so I can
> have a second frame in my X window environment without changing or
> moving my first frame.

I don't get you.  The variable is buffer-local, so it's value will be
the same in any frame that shows the doc-view buffer with that file.
There's no way to have different values in different frames.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
@ 2008-01-04 21:39   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-01-04 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> said

   I don't get you.  The variable is buffer-local, so it's value will be
   the same in any frame that shows the doc-view buffer with that file.
   There's no way to have different values in different frames.

Yes, but I have four buffers, each from a different file, that I want
to put into doc-view.  Each will have the same width.  Hence, the need
to set the size of the second frame globally.

--

@ 2008-01-04 22:26     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-04 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

Hi Robert,

>    I don't get you.  The variable is buffer-local, so it's value will
>    be the same in any frame that shows the doc-view buffer with that
>    file.  There's no way to have different values in different frames.
>
> Yes, but I have four buffers, each from a different file, that I want
> to put into doc-view.  Each will have the same width.  Hence, the need
> to set the size of the second frame globally.

You can use something like

(add-hook 'doc-view-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq doc-view-current-slice '(100 100 600 800))))

in your ~/.emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
@ 2008-01-05 15:49       ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-01-05 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote

   (add-hook 'doc-view-mode-hook
             (lambda ()
               (setq doc-view-current-slice '(100 100 600 800))))

Thank you!  That is good since novices who want to learn are already
told in the Emacs Introduction how to write `add-hook' and `lambda'
expressions in their .emacs file.

The cache is useful.  Without it, that is to say, when you first start
doc-view-mode, an `emacs -Q -D' instance says the DVI to PNG
conversion is pdf/ps->png, which is obviously an error.

Also, it takes a minute to convert the first thirty pages.  Put
another way, it takes a very long time when your document has 173
pages in it.  xdvi takes less time than I can determine.

Perhaps you can save time by checking whether xdvi exists on the
computer and, if so, use it in Emacs.

Incidently, when I have the cache and am starting a new instance of
`emacs -Q -D', doc-view-mode seems to require that I go a page ahead
to see the smaller slice (or else I never waited long enough).  That
does not happen when I am first starting doc-view-mode, but, as I
said, a document takes a long time to convert.

--

@ 2008-01-05 17:47         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

Hi Robert,

> The cache is useful.  Without it, that is to say, when you first start
> doc-view-mode, an `emacs -Q -D' instance says the DVI to PNG
> conversion is pdf/ps->png, which is obviously an error.

No, it's not.  A dvi will be converted to pdf and that in turn is
converted to png.  That's needed cause ghostview doesn't work with dvi
files.

> Also, it takes a minute to convert the first thirty pages.  Put
> another way, it takes a very long time when your document has 173
> pages in it.

Yeah, since they need a 2-way conversion, dvi files take the longest
conversion time.

> xdvi takes less time than I can determine.

Well, xdvi can display dvi files natively, so there's no need to do a
time-consuming conversion before.

> Perhaps you can save time by checking whether xdvi exists on the
> computer and, if so, use it in Emacs.

Emacs cannot embed other windows.

> Incidently, when I have the cache and am starting a new instance of
> `emacs -Q -D', doc-view-mode seems to require that I go a page ahead
> to see the smaller slice

Yes, that is correct.  The first image will be displayed before
doc-view-mode-hook is run.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
@ 2008-01-05 18:57           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-01-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>> The cache is useful.  Without it, that is to say, when you first start
>> doc-view-mode, an `emacs -Q -D' instance says the DVI to PNG
>> conversion is pdf/ps->png, which is obviously an error.
>
> No, it's not.  A dvi will be converted to pdf and that in turn is
> converted to png.  That's needed cause ghostview doesn't work with dvi
> files.

dvipng might be useful here.  And why would you convert dvi to pdf?  Is
that faster than PostScript?

* Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
@ 2008-01-05 19:30             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

Hi David,

>>> The cache is useful.  Without it, that is to say, when you first
>>> start doc-view-mode, an `emacs -Q -D' instance says the DVI to PNG
>>> conversion is pdf/ps->png, which is obviously an error.
>>
>> No, it's not.  A dvi will be converted to pdf and that in turn is
>> converted to png.  That's needed cause ghostview doesn't work with
>> dvi files.
>
> dvipng might be useful here.

Oh, indeed, that should be considered.  I didn't know that.

> And why would you convert dvi to pdf?  Is that faster than PostScript?

I use dvipdfm for that job.

I added a todo in my org-file to use dvipng if available.

Bye,
Tassilo