* text-property-any
@ 2008-01-25 15:12 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2008-01-25 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The value of (text-property-any start end 'foo "bar") is always nil,
because text-property-any in effect uses `eq' to check property values.
Would there be bad consequences if it used `equal' instead?  If this is
not a viable option, is there a recommended way to find out if some
character has a property with a particular string value?  I suppose
looping on next-single-property-change and testing for `equal'ity will
work; is that the best way?  (My use case is a display property with a
string value.)  Thanks,

Steve Berman

* Re: text-property-any
@ 2008-01-25 15:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-01-25 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The value of (text-property-any start end 'foo "bar") is always nil,
> because text-property-any in effect uses `eq' to check property values.
> Would there be bad consequences if it used `equal' instead?

There are places where code expects properties to be compared with
`eq', yes.  So we could add what you're requesting, but only as
an option.  E.g. add a "compare-function" option that can default to
`eq' but can be set to anything else you fancy.

* Re: text-property-any
@ 2008-01-25 22:51   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2008-01-25 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:51:56 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> The value of (text-property-any start end 'foo "bar") is always nil,
>> because text-property-any in effect uses `eq' to check property values.
>> Would there be bad consequences if it used `equal' instead?
>
> There are places where code expects properties to be compared with
> `eq', yes.  So we could add what you're requesting, but only as
> an option.  E.g. add a "compare-function" option that can default to
> `eq' but can be set to anything else you fancy.

Sounds like a good idea.

Steve Berman

* text-property-any
@ 2014-06-20  7:02 Bois Francois-Xavier
From: Bois Francois-Xavier @ 2014-06-20  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

would it possible to change  text-property-any this way :

     text-property-any start end prop value &optional object

becomes

     text-property-any start end prop &optional value object

If the "value" param is not passed, Emacs only checked if prop is not nil ?

It would be useful for web-mode.el

Cheers

fx

* Re: text-property-any
@ 2014-06-20 12:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-20 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bois Francois-Xavier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If the "value" param is not passed, Emacs only checked if prop is not nil ?

This is called text-property-not-all.