From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:09:18 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:42:24 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> Personally, I could live with such an arrangement, since i didn't have
RS> much time for Gnus development recently.  But I also don't see much
RS> problem to have two branches (like we did with v5-10 for quite a long
RS> time) if other Gnus developers wish to commit new (potentially
RS> destabilizing) features sooner - I seem to recall that we deferred
RS> some contributions during the last months.  Opinions?

I hope the bzr repository, when available, will make all this easier.

My preference is to have a place, either Gnus trunk or a branch, where I
can commit new code without waiting for approval.  I would prefer that
to be the Gnus trunk, and I think it makes sense to have a Gnus CVS
branch for the purpose of synchronization with Emacs CVS.  IOW, the
synchronization that happens from the Gnus trunk right now should happen
from a "for Emacs" branch, so Gnus developers are not affecting Emacs
developers and vice versa.  Then the burden falls on Reiner or others to
backport things into the "for Emacs" branch when appropriate.

This would bring the Gnus CVS trunk back to the "bleeding edge" status
it had in the past.

Ted