* emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?
@ 2009-11-01 12:37 Dave Milter
From: Dave Milter @ 2009-11-01 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

After update to 23.1,
I time to time see the same behaviour, emacs not responding to key presses,
and eats CPU like a pig,
ctrl+g  only helps to return responding by a second, then it again eats CPU.
if connect gdb to emacs it show that it hangs in mark_object function.

Several people told me that they see the same behaviour, but they advise me
just stop use 23 branch and return back to 22. May be there is another solution?

* Re: emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?
@ 2009-11-01 12:52 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-01 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Milter; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Dave Milter <davemilter@gmail.com> wrote:
> After update to 23.1,
> I time to time see the same behaviour, emacs not responding to key presses,
> and eats CPU like a pig,
> ctrl+g  only helps to return responding by a second, then it again eats CPU.
> if connect gdb to emacs it show that it hangs in mark_object function.
>
> Several people told me that they see the same behaviour, but they advise me
> just stop use 23 branch and return back to 22. May be there is another solution?

Since many people are using 23.1 there must be something more specific
that causes the problem.

Can you please give us more details? Can you reproduce the problem
starting from a bare bone Emacs (emacs -Q)?

* Re: emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?
@ 2009-11-01 16:56   ` Dave Milter
From: Dave Milter @ 2009-11-01 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Dave Milter <davemilter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After update to 23.1,
>> I time to time see the same behaviour, emacs not responding to key presses,
>> and eats CPU like a pig,
>> ctrl+g  only helps to return responding by a second, then it again eats CPU.
>> if connect gdb to emacs it show that it hangs in mark_object function.
>>
>> Several people told me that they see the same behaviour, but they advise me
>> just stop use 23 branch and return back to 22. May be there is another solution?
>

> Since many people are using 23.1 there must be something more specific
> that causes the problem.
>
> Can you please give us more details? Can you reproduce the problem
> starting from a bare bone Emacs (emacs -Q)?

Thanks for idea.

The most bad thing, that bug not happened always,
it happened sometimes,
I try for several hours work with -Q and bug not reproduced,
also I find this:
http://old.nabble.com/-ECB--Emacs-hangs-after-ecb-activate-is-invoked-td22895538.html

and remove from ~/.emacs mention of ecb, and now wait is
bug happened again or not.

* Re: emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?
@ 2009-11-01 19:18     ` Dave Milter
From: Dave Milter @ 2009-11-01 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Dave Milter <davemilter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Lennart Borgman
> <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Dave Milter <davemilter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> After update to 23.1,
>>> I time to time see the same behaviour, emacs not responding to key presses,
>>> and eats CPU like a pig,
>>> ctrl+g  only helps to return responding by a second, then it again eats CPU.
>>> if connect gdb to emacs it show that it hangs in mark_object function.
>>>
>>> Several people told me that they see the same behaviour, but they advise me
>>> just stop use 23 branch and return back to 22. May be there is another solution?
>>

>> Since many people are using 23.1 there must be something more specific
>> that causes the problem.
>>
>> Can you please give us more details? Can you reproduce the problem
>> starting from a bare bone Emacs (emacs -Q)?
>>

> Thanks for idea.
>
> The most bad thing, that bug not happened always,
> it happened sometimes,
> I try for several hours work with -Q and bug not reproduced,
> also I find this:
> http://old.nabble.com/-ECB--Emacs-hangs-after-ecb-activate-is-invoked-td22895538.html
>
> and remove from ~/.emacs mention of ecb, and now wait is
> bug happened again or not.

No, this is not ecb fault,
I wonder is it possible to start emacs under gdb, and find out
what elisp code working now, if press Ctrl+C when it hangup and not responding?

* Re: emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?
@ 2009-11-02  1:47       ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2009-11-02  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Milter; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, emacs-devel

Dave Milter writes:

 > I wonder is it possible to start emacs under gdb, and find out what
 > elisp code working now, if press Ctrl+C when it hangup and not
 > responding?

Run "gdb emacs" from the ./src directory, or source the .gdbinit file
that you'll find there if you've started from elsewhere.  (If you have
a hung process or a corefile already you can use "gdb emacs <pid-or-core>"
to examine the zombie process or corpse.)  Then just "run" in gdb and
you'll get a normal session.  I'm not familiar with the Emacs
facilities, but "help user-defined" will tell you what commands have
been defined.  I image there will be a "lisp-stack-trace" command or
something like that which will give you the Lisp stack.

To get to gdb when Emacs is hung, C-z probably works as usual, or you
can use kill -TSTP <Emacs PID> from a terminal on *nix systems.