Eli Zaretskii writes: >> Do we want to go down this path? > > Maybe we do. Are there good alternatives, when there are so many > non-orthogonal options? I have a good alternative for swiper.el (my isearch-replacement package in GELPA). Unlike the current isearch, which recently started displaying "Char-fold I-search: " instead of the much better default "I-search: ", swiper displays only "97 pattern: ", where "97" is the current number of matches. To see more options, I can press "C-o" to bring up a hydra - a keyboard oriented menu, which is also a package of mine in GELPA. Pressing "C-o" again hides this information. I attach 3 screenshots. First one: I only press "C-s" (`swiper') to get a minimal interface. Second one: I press "C-o" to show me the options panel, which also doubles as a command-mode: - "C-n" becomes "j" - "C-p" becomes "k" - "M-<" becomes "h" - "M->" becomes "l" It's possible to toggle the matching function with "m", and the state will be re-displayed to let the user know that the matcher has changed. It's possible to re-size the minibuffer with "<" and ">". Third one: I've re-sized the minibuffer to become smaller with "<<" and changed the matcher to fuzzy with "m" (notice the number of candidates grew from 97 to 543). I could now dismiss the menu with "i" or "C-o" and go back to a minimal interface, with the changes that I made.