* New windows builds
@ 2017-10-25  8:51 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-10-25  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've made some changes to the Emacs windows build packaging. I've pushed
a new snapshot build to
https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/.

Comments are welcome (specifically on the packaging!).

Background:

As Michael has already noticed, I've updated Emacs-26 with the build
scripts that I am now using to make windows builds. This seemed like a
good idea to me; the process has evolved over the the Emacs-25 cycle but
this wasn't reflected in the Emacs repository. This seemed like a bad
idea, as there were a couple of packaging related bugs.

The new scripts automate both the build of the Emacs zip files
themselves and the "dependencies" binaries and source zip files. I've
added one new feature (already mentioned) which is the ability to build
a snapshot from an arbitrary branch.

Phil

* Re: New windows builds
@ 2017-10-25 13:00 ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2017-10-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Hi Philip,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Phillip Lord
<phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:
> The new scripts automate both the build of the Emacs zip files
> themselves and the "dependencies" binaries and source zip files. I've
> added one new feature (already mentioned) which is the ability to build
> a snapshot from an arbitrary branch.

Looks useful. Where are those scripts?

* RE: New windows builds
@ 2017-10-25 15:48 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-10-25 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phillip.lord, emacs-devel

> I've made some changes to the Emacs windows build packaging. I've pushed
> a new snapshot build to... Comments are welcome (specifically on the packaging!).
>
> Background:
>
> As Michael has already noticed, I've updated Emacs-26 with the build
> scripts that I am now using to make windows builds. This seemed like a
> good idea to me; the process has evolved over the the Emacs-25 cycle but
> this wasn't reflected in the Emacs repository. This seemed like a bad
> idea, as there were a couple of packaging related bugs.
>
> The new scripts automate both the build of the Emacs zip files
> themselves and the "dependencies" binaries and source zip files. I've
> added one new feature (already mentioned) which is the ability to build
> a snapshot from an arbitrary branch.

Thanks. Do I understand correctly that the result of this build
is expected to be the same as the result of the previous build,
and that the only difference is that you now use a different
build procedure (e.g., different scripts)?  IOW, should users
expect any difference in the resulting builds?

* Re: New windows builds
@ 2017-10-25 15:49   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-10-25 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Philip,
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Phillip Lord
> <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:
>> The new scripts automate both the build of the Emacs zip files
>> themselves and the "dependencies" binaries and source zip files. I've
>> added one new feature (already mentioned) which is the ability to build
>> a snapshot from an arbitrary branch.
>
> Looks useful. Where are those scripts?

./admin/nt/dist-build

Currently only on the emacs-26 branch, though they should get
merged. They are quite opinionated about the build structure. And I
appear to have deleted the nice README that I wrote about them. Oh dear,
will redo tonight.

Phil

* Re: New windows builds
@ 2017-10-25 21:51   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-10-25 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> The new scripts automate both the build of the Emacs zip files
>> themselves and the "dependencies" binaries and source zip files. I've
>> added one new feature (already mentioned) which is the ability to build
>> a snapshot from an arbitrary branch.
>
> Thanks. Do I understand correctly that the result of this build
> is expected to be the same as the result of the previous build,
> and that the only difference is that you now use a different
> build procedure (e.g., different scripts)?  IOW, should users
> expect any difference in the resulting builds?

There weren't any scripts before, I just ran through the instructions in
an .org file. Surprised it too me so long to get irritated with this.

But, as it's a new release, I have also change the packaging somewhat,
both from Emacs-25, and also from Emacs-26.0.90. The "default" one
(i.e. one with the shortest name) now contains all the dependencies;
that is, you don't have to unzip the deps file over the top of an
installation for yourself. The "-no-deps" version is the same as the
Emacs-25 releases.

The new files are described in
admin/nt/dist-build/README-windows-binaries.

Phil