Basil L. Contovounesios writes: [...] > > Am I the only one who prefers doing separate 'git fetch' and 'git > merge/rebase' operations, and never uses 'git pull'? :) > > This way I get to see exactly what's changed upstream, whether it > conflicts with my local changes, decide whether I want/need to > merge/rebase, etc. etc. Not much substance to add, but same here. I generally try to start at the tip of the branch (i.e. its latest commit) I plan to commit to, in order to avoid the need for rebasing or merging whenever possible. Once I'm done writing, I fetch and review upstream changes if any, carefully rebase my own commit(s) on top of them, and push. It's worked out very well for my (admittedly mostly small-scoped) changes to various git repositories thus far.