On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 15:28:06 +0200 Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> From: Stephen Berman >> Cc: acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 13:54:06 +0100 >> >> >> As noted above, I build both master and emacs-27 with CFLAGS='-Og -g3'. >> >> Given that, is such a difference still expected? >> > >> > No. But if you see this consistently, please produce and post the >> > profile of each of the versions, and let's take it from there. >> >> Since the builds I ran the benchmark on were about two weeks old, I >> updated both branches now, rebuilt and ran the benchmark again, and got >> the same results: ~21 seconds on master, ~61 seconds on emacs-27. >> Profiles attached. > > Thanks. It looks like everything is just two to 3 times slower in > Emacs 28 on your system, which is definitely not my experience. ^^ 27 > Are you sure all the Lisp files are byte-compiled? What happens if > you "make bootstrap" in both branches, and then try again? I just rebuilt emacs-27 with "make bootstrap", reran the benchmark, and it took ~60 seconds, about a second faster than the previous non-bootstrapped build. The profile is similar to the previous one from emacs-27, but I've attached for your perusal anyway. I'll bootstrap master too and run the benchmark there again. Steve Berman