From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: The Emacs master is much slower than the emacs-27 branch.
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 14:53:32 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 15:28:06 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Cc: acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 13:54:06 +0100

>> > No.  But if you see this consistently, please produce and post the
>> > profile of each of the versions, and let's take it from there.
>>
>> Since the builds I ran the benchmark on were about two weeks old, I
>> updated both branches now, rebuilt and ran the benchmark again, and got
>> the same results: ~21 seconds on master, ~61 seconds on emacs-27.
>> Profiles attached.
>
> Thanks.  It looks like everything is just two to 3 times slower in
> Emacs 28 on your system, which is definitely not my experience.
        ^^
        27

> Are you sure all the Lisp files are byte-compiled?  What happens if
> you "make bootstrap" in both branches, and then try again?

I just rebuilt emacs-27 with "make bootstrap", reran the benchmark, and
it took ~60 seconds, about a second faster than the previous
non-bootstrapped build.  The profile is similar to the previous one from
emacs-27, but I've attached for your perusal anyway.  I'll bootstrap
master too and run the benchmark there again.

Steve Berman