* byte-compile large themes?
@ 2021-01-08  0:43 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-01-08  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

While we compile more files ...
should we compile the  themes in etc/themes -- modus-* themes are
fairly large  --

--Raman
♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

--Raman
♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: byte-compile large themes?
@ 2021-01-08  0:55 ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-01-08  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> While we compile more files ...
> should we compile the  themes in etc/themes -- modus-* themes are
> fairly large  --

Isn't all/most of lisp that comes with Emacs compiled when Emacs is
build? I always thought it was.

Personally I use Solarized from BBatsov, and that gets compiled when
Solarized package is installed. So I guess if Modus themes are not
compiled, then why not? Can it hurt if you compile them?

* Re: byte-compile large themes?
@ 2021-01-08  3:47   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-01-08  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 755 bytes --]

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

If  you're building emacs from source, modus themes are bundled in emacs
28, and live in etc/themes -- and no, they are not byte-compiled at present
> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>
>> While we compile more files ...
>> should we compile the  themes in etc/themes -- modus-* themes are
>> fairly large  --
>
> Isn't all/most of lisp that comes with Emacs compiled when Emacs is
> build? I always thought it was.
>
> Personally I use Solarized from BBatsov, and that gets compiled when
> Solarized package is installed. So I guess if Modus themes are not
> compiled, then why not? Can it hurt if you compile them?

--Raman
7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: byte-compile large themes?
@ 2021-01-08 16:28     ` Protesilaos Stavrou
From: Protesilaos Stavrou @ 2021-01-08 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2021-01-07, 19:47 -0800, "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> wrote:

> If  you're building emacs from source, modus themes are bundled in emacs
> 28, and live in etc/themes -- and no, they are not byte-compiled at present

As far as I can tell, this is true for all items in etc/themes.

By the way, there is a pending patch in bug#45068 to update the themes
to their latest version.[1]

From my part, I expect to have a new release ready towards the end of
this month, at which point I will update that patch (or prepare a new
one).

[1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45068

--
Protesilaos Stavrou