On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 at 09:50, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > Augusto Stoffel writes: > >> I have also rearranged things a bit so that the setup code is sent to >> the inferior process just once, rather than of on every call to >> `python-shell-send-string'. This way, the smaller line length limit >> doesn't increase too much the use of temp files, which, as I mentioned, >> is slow over ssh. > > This leads to compilation warnings about > python-shell-eval-file-setup-code etc. > > Can you adjust the patch to fix that, and also add the defconst for > 1024, like Eli discussed? > >> PS: I have some more suggestions around the Python shell. Is the ideal >> workflow to keep creating bugs with a small patch to each improvement, >> or do you prefer to review a larger collection of changes bundled >> together? > > Smaller patches are fine by me, and you can submit them with `M-x > submit-emacs-patch'. Hi Lars, I've attached a new patch addressing these 2 points. I've added the max line length defconst to comint.el, since this something general about PTYs. The value reflects my knowledge of the situation (4096 on Linux, possibly 1024 on other OSes). Hopefully other people will fill in more cases eventually. FWIW, when I read the man page for termios, it seems pretty clear that MAX_CANON is the name of this parameter we're discussing here. But if I do 'getconf MAX_CANON /', I get 255, which is definitely not the right value for my system.