* Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-21  3:24 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-05-21  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Are there any technical difficulties of shipping BBDB manual with the
package? Like licensing or other issues.

Right now I can see a manual with blank "First Chapter". That’s it.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-21  5:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-21  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org>
> Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:54:42 +0530
>
> Are there any technical difficulties of shipping BBDB manual with the
> package? Like licensing or other issues.
>
> Right now I can see a manual with blank "First Chapter". That’s it.

It will have to be written before it can be shipped.  What you see is
all that was written.  There's nothing more in the Texinfo source of
that manual.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-21  6:31 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-21  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Right now I can see a manual with blank "First Chapter". That’s it.

It looks like that for a long time.

You may want to have a look at the fork EBDB by Eric Abrahamsen.  It is
in Gnu Elpa and has an info manual that is not empty.

Michael.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-21  9:17   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-05-21  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Are there any technical difficulties of shipping BBDB manual with the
>> package? Like licensing or other issues.
>>
>> Right now I can see a manual with blank "First Chapter". That’s it.
>
> It will have to be written before it can be shipped.  What you see is
> all that was written.  There's nothing more in the Texinfo source of
> that manual.

Okay. I thought some licensing and copyright issue. Because I can see a
manual for version 2.35 on SourceForge -
http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/bbdb.html

And the version in ELPA is 3.2.2b. So this is a work-needing package.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-21  9:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 14:47:31 +0530
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Are there any technical difficulties of shipping BBDB manual with the
> >> package? Like licensing or other issues.
> >>
> >> Right now I can see a manual with blank "First Chapter". That’s it.
> >
> > It will have to be written before it can be shipped.  What you see is
> > all that was written.  There's nothing more in the Texinfo source of
> > that manual.
>
> Okay. I thought some licensing and copyright issue. Because I can see a
> manual for version 2.35 on SourceForge -
> http://bbdb.sourceforge.net/bbdb.html

maybe it was, I don't know all the history of this package on ELPA.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-21  9:37   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-05-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> You may want to have a look at the fork EBDB by Eric Abrahamsen.  It is
> in Gnu Elpa and has an info manual that is not empty.

Yes. This is a great package. And I like Eric’s work in Gnus as well.

My question was specifically for BBDB. Because I could see the manuals
for older an version of BBDB at various places on the web, except in the
BBDB Emacs package.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-22  1:33     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-22  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Okay. I thought some licensing and copyright issue.

Could be.

README says:

| The BBDB info manual is still awaiting a more complete overhaul.

and TODO:

| ** Update / rewrite texinfo manual

And packages/bbdb/doc/bbdb.texi never looked more complete.

Michael.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-22  6:25       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-05-22  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Okay. I thought some licensing and copyright issue.
>
> Could be.
>
> README says:
>
> | The BBDB info manual is still awaiting a more complete overhaul.
>
> and TODO:
>
> | ** Update / rewrite texinfo manual
>
> And packages/bbdb/doc/bbdb.texi never looked more complete.

Thanks for digging more. Thanks for sharing.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-22 23:15         ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2022-05-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, May 22 2022, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>> README says:
>>
>> | The BBDB info manual is still awaiting a more complete overhaul.
>>
>> and TODO:
>>
>> | ** Update / rewrite texinfo manual
>>
>> And packages/bbdb/doc/bbdb.texi never looked more complete.
>
> Thanks for digging more. Thanks for sharing.

I am with you, though sometimes I wish my days had 48h instead
of 24h.

Roland  (maintainer of BBDB 3)

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-22 23:20           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-05-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I am with you, though sometimes I wish my days had 48h instead
> of 24h.

I'd settle for 25h, personally,

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-23  1:58           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-05-23  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> I am with you, though sometimes I wish my days had 48h instead
> of 24h.

The most important thing now, in my eyes, is to remove this sentence in
the header of bbdb.el:

  ;; See the BBDB info manual for documentation.

The info manual could also say something like "this is to be written,
there is not official manual (yet) because of copyright stuff, sorry" or
so.

Dunno if a link to "what people can find in the internet anyway" is
allowed.

Michael.

* Re: Why BBDB package manual is empty?
@ 2022-05-23  7:42             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2022-05-23  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Roland Winkler, emacs-devel

>> I am with you, though sometimes I wish my days had 48h instead
>> of 24h.
>
> I'd settle for 25h, personally,

There is a 25h day on Mars.  And ping time is only 6 minutes at best.