* emacs kpart
@ 2003-07-04 15:33 Marco Correia
From: Marco Correia @ 2003-07-04 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm considering creating a KPart (which is a kind of KDE component suitable to
be integrated within KDE programs, in a certain way equivalent to Gnome's
bonobo or Windows OLE), for integrating emacs in kde apps.

The basic idea is to launch an emacs process in the background and use the
gnuclient-gnuserv functionality to pass the user keystrokes to the emacs
process. The outcome of the user actions (modifications on the current
buffer) would then have to be collected from the emacs buffer. So here is the
issue:

Is there a way to store the contents of the current buffer and then, after
some modification, retrieve only the part that have changed? I know that
there are some functions for retrieving the entire or part of the buffer
(e.g. buffer-string,buffer-substring) but if I don't know which parts have
been modified after some point, my only choice is to retrieve the entire
buffer, which is of course very inneficient.

Also, before I go deeply into this, I really would like to hear from an emacs
expert what he/she thinks of this idea, or if it this impossible by some
obvious reason that I don't know about.

thanks

--
Marco Correia <mvc@netcabo.pt>

* Re: emacs kpart
@ 2003-07-05 22:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-07-05 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, xemacs-design

    Is there a way to store the contents of the current buffer and then, after
    some modification, retrieve only the part that have changed? I know that
    there are some functions for retrieving the entire or part of the buffer
    (e.g. buffer-string,buffer-substring) but if I don't know which parts have
    been modified after some point, my only choice is to retrieve the entire
    buffer, which is of course very inneficient.

You could look through the undo list.
You would need to prevent the undo list from being truncated
so that you could be sure it gives a complete record.

* Re: emacs kpart
@ 2003-07-07 18:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-07-07 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: xemacs-design

Marco Correia wrote:

> Is there a way to store the contents of the current buffer and then, after
> some modification, retrieve only the part that have changed? I know that
> there are some functions for retrieving the entire or part of the buffer
> (e.g. buffer-string,buffer-substring) but if I don't know which parts have
> been modified after some point, my only choice is to retrieve the entire
> buffer, which is of course very inneficient.

You might want to look at how highlight-changes-mode keeps track of changes
to the buffer.

--

* Re: emacs kpart
@ 2003-07-30 15:28   ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2003-07-30 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Is there a way to store the contents of the current buffer and then, after
>     some modification, retrieve only the part that have changed? I know that
>     there are some functions for retrieving the entire or part of the buffer
>     (e.g. buffer-string,buffer-substring) but if I don't know which parts have
>     been modified after some point, my only choice is to retrieve the entire
>     buffer, which is of course very inneficient.
>
> You could look through the undo list.
> You would need to prevent the undo list from being truncated
> so that you could be sure it gives a complete record.

I know at least that erc explicitly prevents insertions from the filter
function from affecting the undo-list, since that would clobber it up with
modifications the user himself never made.  It might be that
other extention packages do something roughly alike for the same reasons.

--
CYa,
  Mario