From: Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: eshell-defgroup.  Do we really need this?
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:08:04 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Ted,

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Romain, can you set up build failures to be aggregated?  I can set
> up buildbot (send me your setup if you can) for a confirmation
> run; if both our builds fail then the Emacs CVS trunk is probably
> broken.

My experience with running this buildbot (and others) suggests that
there is little value in doing this; buildbot does a clean build
every time so if it fails then we can be fairly sure that CVS is
broken.

I'm not sure which platform you were offering to build on, but the
standard way to set up a buildbot is to have a master instance with
one builder per platform, say one for Debian, one for Windows, one
for Mac OS X, etc. The instance at http://emacsbuild.orebokech.com/
only has builders for Debian etch, having more would be nice.

> The important thing is to send a notice only when the build breaks
> (after 15 minutes or so, in case we miss an immediate fix commit)
> and another one when it's back.  We definitely don't want e-mails
> on every commit.

Builds are time-based at the moment: every six hours.  And it
already sends mail only when the state changes, I made that change
at Martin's request (it's not standard buildbot behavior).

While we're on this topic, I should note that a few weeks ago I
changed the configuration of the builders to do an additional build
with --without-x, it breaks often and can go unnoticed for some time
because relatively few people configure Emacs that way.